My Thoughts on Newtown: Gun Control

Katedouglasss
Kate Douglas
Allen
Creative Writing
11 January 2013

Change Before It’s Too Late
The Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, has changed the lives of many
people. Not just the lives of the victim’s families, but worldwide. It was December 14, 2012, when Adam
Lanza decided to take the lives of twenty-six people. This was a terrible tragedy that hopefully our
world will take and learn something from. After this mass shooting there are many actions we need to
take. The first and most simple action is more security for all schools. Just like the Sandy Hook
Elementary School my school has a lock system that requires visitors, students, and
administration to be buzzed in after being identified by a security camera. Everyone at my school always
mocks this system because you aren’t a loud to open the door for someone you know. This system can
be a hassle at times but it could also stop a gunman. Although this system didn’t stop Lanza because he
shot through it, it’s still beneficial and could stop other people with different types of weapons.
A different approach to taking an action would be to give each school a gun. The thought of all
my teachers “packing” isn’t the best image but having one gun that stays in the front office of the
school, in a safe, could be helpful just in case of an emergency. Most people would object to this and say
you shouldn’t fight violence with violence. I don’t think you should either but realistically fighting
violence with violence is the only way you can stop someone with a gun. A gun in each school could be
dangerous if it got in the wrong hands but most principals and teachers only want what’s best for the
school. One gun in the office of Sandy Hook Elementary could have saved many of the six and seven
year olds. The most important action that should be taken without hesitation is gun control laws. There
have been many school massacre’s and Congress still hasn’t passed a gun control law. Maybe it will take
the lives of these five, six, and seven year olds to do so. Or maybe it will take one of the lives of a
Congressmen to do so. There are ample of things we could and should take and learn from this horrific
event. But if we don’t learn now from someone else’s son, daughter, grandchild, and best friend, we will
learn with one of our own.