My thoughts on Newtown: We do not fear the gun, we fear the hand it is placed in

bazzoun

Makers of America fought long and hard for a nation of the people. These sacrificed lives for the sake of a free country should not be put in vain. A number of such highly respected men in history served to build a durable foundation for the United States, including James Madison, William Pierce, and of course, Thomas Jefferson. With this in mind, how dare we attempt to meddle with the groundwork of such notable people? From the very roots, America's constitution called for the implementation of gun rights. As the founding fathers went above and beyond their civic responsibilities, the torch has been handed down to citizens in the 21st century to keep this sense of civil liberties alive. The question in minds of many is where to go from here. The answer is, as always, to keep on moving forward. Stricter gun laws function as the opposite. With the potential harsher enforcements in place, America would be taking a large leap backwards. The danger lies not within the gun but within the hands of the holder and the level of moral sanity of that person. The proposal of more complex security systems should be put in place. The proposal of more effective lockdown procedures should be presented; but not ever should the proposal of more forceful gun laws be introduced. On a more emotional level, the feelings of confusion and despair are not mistranslated. It is clear to every citizen with compassion, sympathy, or even guilt, that the sadness of an event, especially so near to such a holy holiday, can be dismal. But, should we allow feelings of grief to get in the way of the necessity of rights? No. While this event may be so much more hostile than other setbacks, it was not the result of the "loose" gun laws. Families all over America, and if not, the world, have hugged their children a little tighter and kissed them a little longer, but not because the fear of lenient gun laws. More love and more patience was a result of the fear of mental and immoral potential murderers that still roam the streets. The tears that have been shed have been directed to the families and to the children who unfortunately witnessed such heartache. The lines that must be drawn must be drawn on issues regarding the mental stability of individuals. This cannot be stressed enough and the intention behind this opinion is not to offend, it is to inform that gun laws are not the reason for the problems in today's society.

Comment by JulianDujarric

You bring up some good points. I'd love to discuss this further for a potential story on Channel One News. Let me know if you're interested / available.

Julian Dujarric
Anchor / Reporter - Channel One News
DujarricJ@cbsnews.com
646.938.8365
http://ChannelOne.com
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:35:19 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura