My Thoughts on Newtown

worldwriter
My thoughts on Newtown: This is an issue of gun control but school security, as well as mental health and unstable or the mentally ill. All of these worldwide issues are now being focused on because of the 26 lives lost in this tragic school shooting. The 2nd amendment projects the right to bare arms. Therefore it would be unconstitutional to ban peoples right to guns. That being said I personally believe this Newtown shooting showed the need for more gun control. Statistics proved that in the United States it is easier to buy a gun then to adopt a child. Although child adoption also needs to be safe so does the purchasing of guns and other weapons. There are also different uses for guns, such as hunting or for projection. But regardless mental health becomes an issue. People who are mentally unstable or ill can be dangerous to other humans are can be inclined to indulge in harmful actions. On the counter point of that argument it is not proven that mentally ill people are more inclined to be violent then a healthy human. The Newtown shooting opened up the world’s eyes to the issue of gun control. If guns are banned then the public goes crazy and I think it is unneeded. Banning guns would limit the amount of liberty a citizen has, thus making the United States one step closer to a socialist or totalitarianism government. This issue became very personal for me because I go to a school that is kindergarten through 12th grade. We are a small school in the city of Chicago. My school is very progressive and would like to believe everyone can be trusted. But this was obviously not the case when they heard about the school shooting. Although parents and students were told by the administration that more security was now set in place for the school, nothing has been done. This is very frightening to all students and faculty, knowing the amount of harm an outsider could produce. To conclude all of these arguments together I believe guns should not be banned but gun control should make it harder to own a gun. There should also be restrictions on which type of guns can be owned. For example if a shooter only had a gun that could hold 2 bullets, many more small children would have survived in the Newtown Shooting.