STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: So this is why I left The Old Country, an Immigrant Perspective

nive.raghavan
“I come from a family of immigrants, so how was I supposed to know?” is usually the first phrase that I use as my defense when regarding any social faux pas, foot-in-mouth, fresh-off-the-boat scenarios that I (inevitably) fall prey to. This is probably a little histrionic, even for me. In reality, my parents lived in the United States for two years before they decided to have me in India, and then brought me back here in three months. My parents work here, are naturalized citizens, and my sister was born at a first-world-country, behemoth of a hospital eight years later. I play electric guitar, have a major crush on Ryan Gosling, and am currently taking AP US History—I’m pretty much your Yankee-Doodle Dandy. So please tell me why I still can’t interpret the most American document on this planet (other than Twilight): the Amendments.
It’s true that I’m barely passing US History, but for some reason, no matter how hard I’ve tried looking, I can’t find where it says that I can use assault weapons to kill more than twenty five innocent civilians (I admit without shame that I could not type the world children). Oh, it doesn’t say that? Then please tell me where it says that I could use assault weapons at home, hunting, or even for self-defense? Is it implied?
Couldn’t it be implied that these weapons should only be used by those trained to do so? According to The Atlantic Wire, 50% of the Earth’s gun owning population lives in the United States. Out of all of those gun-enthusiasts, how many have the mental, physical, and emotional skills required to unleash a war path of bullets at anyone? America prides itself on being a land of freedom and safety. This is more than the majority of the world’s population could ask for.
The United States does not have rampant rape and human rights issues. It does not force its citizens to walk miles for water, food, and medical aid. It gives its children the schooling needed so that they can make their own informed decisions. You can vote, appeal in court. You can live.
So how about a little control? It’s like taking dessert away from a child. The cool aunt tells you that you can have seconds and thirds of dessert before dinner, but mom and dad always remind you that you should enjoy the whole plate of food you have now, and just take one serving of cake at the end. That way, you don’t hurt yourself, or your parents who will pay for it when you’re either off-the-wall hyper or leaning over the toilet bowl.
I don’t encourage the United States to storm in with a Space Saver bag and lifetime rent at the Public Storage, collecting every fire-arm you have. But how about those big assault ones that make you look like you can take out the lives of twenty-seven terrorists, as well as twenty-seven innocent victims?
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:53:08 PM
Rate this:
Comment by nive.raghavan

Hello Laura,

Thank you so much! This is a great honor! I really appreciate this!

Thanks,
Nive
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:56:27 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy