My thoughts on Newtown: So this is why I left The Old Country, an Immigrant Perspective

nive.raghavan
“I come from a family of immigrants, so how was I supposed to know?” is usually the first phrase that I use as my defense when regarding any social faux pas, foot-in-mouth, fresh-off-the-boat scenarios that I (inevitably) fall prey to. This is probably a little histrionic, even for me. In reality, my parents lived in the United States for two years before they decided to have me in India, and then brought me back here in three months. My parents work here, are naturalized citizens, and my sister was born at a first-world-country, behemoth of a hospital eight years later. I play electric guitar, have a major crush on Ryan Gosling, and am currently taking AP US History—I’m pretty much your Yankee-Doodle Dandy. So please tell me why I still can’t interpret the most American document on this planet (other than Twilight): the Amendments.
It’s true that I’m barely passing US History, but for some reason, no matter how hard I’ve tried looking, I can’t find where it says that I can use assault weapons to kill more than twenty five innocent civilians (I admit without shame that I could not type the world children). Oh, it doesn’t say that? Then please tell me where it says that I could use assault weapons at home, hunting, or even for self-defense? Is it implied?
Couldn’t it be implied that these weapons should only be used by those trained to do so? According to The Atlantic Wire, 50% of the Earth’s gun owning population lives in the United States. Out of all of those gun-enthusiasts, how many have the mental, physical, and emotional skills required to unleash a war path of bullets at anyone? America prides itself on being a land of freedom and safety. This is more than the majority of the world’s population could ask for.
The United States does not have rampant rape and human rights issues. It does not force its citizens to walk miles for water, food, and medical aid. It gives its children the schooling needed so that they can make their own informed decisions. You can vote, appeal in court. You can live.
So how about a little control? It’s like taking dessert away from a child. The cool aunt tells you that you can have seconds and thirds of dessert before dinner, but mom and dad always remind you that you should enjoy the whole plate of food you have now, and just take one serving of cake at the end. That way, you don’t hurt yourself, or your parents who will pay for it when you’re either off-the-wall hyper or leaning over the toilet bowl.
I don’t encourage the United States to storm in with a Space Saver bag and lifetime rent at the Public Storage, collecting every fire-arm you have. But how about those big assault ones that make you look like you can take out the lives of twenty-seven terrorists, as well as twenty-seven innocent victims?
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:53:08 PM
Comment by nive.raghavan

Hello Laura,

Thank you so much! This is a great honor! I really appreciate this!

Thanks,
Nive
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:56:27 AM