STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts On Newton: Restriction is the First Prevention

Julie
Only pure insanity and godlessness can lead a person to commit such a crime as that of Adam Lanza committed. According to NIMH.org approximately 26.2% percent of people in America under 18 suffer from a treatable mental disorder, about 6% suffer from a serious mental illness, what Lanza must of have had. Let us not forget the shooting at Aurora in Colorado at a movie theater. Such innocent places have become shooting rings for these mentally ill people. Many issues should be addressed, mentally ill persons, security, but most importantly is gun issues. How long must we wait for action to take place? No longer, do I hope.
Guns were meant for dangerous weapons in wars of the army. That is where guns originated and that is where they should have stayed. But having not done so, and guns so freely given at any place, anybody can own guns, of most ANY kind. That is the real issue. And with such a percent of America's population being addressed as mentally ill, such war guns should be restricted by all means.
I think that only the standard hand gun should be owned by the public. Only one of these guns, in a secured place and only for the means of protection should be own by citizens. Any other gun should only be used at secured hunting areas of less humanly populated places.
Let us try to prevent anymore preventable disasters from happening by attacking one issue at a time. It is not people who have been diagnosed with mentally-ill issues, it is how they release their feelings,sometimes when people (mentally ill or not) don't know how to control their hurt feelings, they hurt someone else instead. Guns aren't the only way to hurt people, but it is a common weapon that with military style guns they can hurt if not kill a great amount of people in a perpetually small amount of time. In all cases things of drastic measures can occur, but I think restriction of guns is the first prevention among other things. It is not the deletion of the second amendment, but rather restriction, that I believe should be the change. I send my prayers to the kids of Newton living and dead and to their families.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy