My Thoughts On Newton: Restriction is the First Prevention

Julie
Only pure insanity and godlessness can lead a person to commit such a crime as that of Adam Lanza committed. According to NIMH.org approximately 26.2% percent of people in America under 18 suffer from a treatable mental disorder, about 6% suffer from a serious mental illness, what Lanza must of have had. Let us not forget the shooting at Aurora in Colorado at a movie theater. Such innocent places have become shooting rings for these mentally ill people. Many issues should be addressed, mentally ill persons, security, but most importantly is gun issues. How long must we wait for action to take place? No longer, do I hope.
Guns were meant for dangerous weapons in wars of the army. That is where guns originated and that is where they should have stayed. But having not done so, and guns so freely given at any place, anybody can own guns, of most ANY kind. That is the real issue. And with such a percent of America's population being addressed as mentally ill, such war guns should be restricted by all means.
I think that only the standard hand gun should be owned by the public. Only one of these guns, in a secured place and only for the means of protection should be own by citizens. Any other gun should only be used at secured hunting areas of less humanly populated places.
Let us try to prevent anymore preventable disasters from happening by attacking one issue at a time. It is not people who have been diagnosed with mentally-ill issues, it is how they release their feelings,sometimes when people (mentally ill or not) don't know how to control their hurt feelings, they hurt someone else instead. Guns aren't the only way to hurt people, but it is a common weapon that with military style guns they can hurt if not kill a great amount of people in a perpetually small amount of time. In all cases things of drastic measures can occur, but I think restriction of guns is the first prevention among other things. It is not the deletion of the second amendment, but rather restriction, that I believe should be the change. I send my prayers to the kids of Newton living and dead and to their families.