My Thoughts on Newtown: Why blame the gun?

jesalynm13
After the Newtown shooting, my heart was hurt. Seeing all of those families who lost their loved ones was utterly horrific. Only a couple days after the shooting, the media was only concerned about one thing. Gun control. When myself, a high schooler, was in disbelief how the media just blew off what was really important. Guns are a right. I understand that guns can be dangerous. But a gun won't do anything just laying on a table. Someone has to be behind that gun to pull the trigger. The people that commit these crimes maybe be considered "crazy", but I personally dont care how crazy you are or what you deal with at home. You don't walk into a kindergarten classroom, and shoot 20 kids. Guns are a right. The government has no right to take away someone's protection. This was a tradegy in Newtown. I completely agree. If the government were to take away people's guns, the public would revolt, and things would get worse. The gun wasn't what killed those 26 people on December 14, the person was.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura