My Thoughts on Newtown: The Root of the Issue

liveinthemoment
When I first heard of the shooting, it was at school. Our teacher the first hour seemed downfallen and at the beginning of class told us about a shooting at a school. She didn’t talk that much about it at all, but I remember her saying, “I am not sure how to address this as your teacher.” The day proceeded like normal until another teacher, in US History, expressed the sadness she felt and told us what had happened. I did not think of it as such a big deal; shootings at school happen, and it’s sad, but…my life remains the same. I know it sounds immoral of me, but I’ll still have a project due tomorrow, no matter what happens. When awful events happen around the globe, I help out and wish them the best, but it never impacts my life directly, (other than it makes me sad).
Later, my mom explained to me in detail what had happened. I could not believe that a young person would arm himself and go murder innocent children in elementary school, and then do suicide. Why? I asked myself, what kind of person would do this? What was he feeling when he did this? When I read about a teacher hiding the kids in a closet, and then get killed, I was deeply touched. When I also saw pictures of the community mourning the event and I said to my mother, “So it takes a mass murder to bring people together, no matter who they are, or where they live?” Why must this be how people connect; is it only through great loss that they open themselves and their feelings to one another?
Guns rights, gun control…both will not solve this problem. If someone is crazy enough to both prepare and plan out a mass murder, why wouldn’t they be able to find some “connections”, steal or borrow another’s gun? As long as there are people with “sick” minds, there will always be murders, regardless of the weapons they use. Do we have to have a knife control too? How about a spear or ax control? What about someone giving poisonous snacks out to children? My point is, something like this cannot be solved with restrictions. We have to understand the murderer. Who are they? What kind of environment did they live in as a child? Did they suffer from disorders, social awkwardness, and loneliness? Did they ever experience “love” or affection? How do they perceive the world? What do we have to do to prevent people from becoming like Adam Lanza? How can we build a selfless society that cares? We have to find the root of the problem, not just scratch at the soil.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura