My Thoughts on Newtown: Where do we go from the Sandy Hook Shootings?

Hmckay
It was a normal day. Just like the one before that and the one before that. Then the unexpected happened: destruction, devastation, massacre of the young. In Connecticut, one man’s actions affected the hearts of millions around the globe. The loss of sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends is enough for a nation to pull together and support the grieving families. Now we are at the point of asking, “Where do we go from the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings?” There are some people who say we should allow teachers to carry guns while others want more gun control. The main point is that parents just want to know that their children are safe, not just at school but everywhere.
Unfortunately, this is not the first school shooting that has happened. These shootings are a horrible reality that is hard to prevent. After this devastation, people’s minds need something to focus on, something to do, something to distract them from the reality of the situation. They want to know how to fix this, where to go. Here is my answer: nowhere. This is a horrible tragedy yes, but there is really nothing to do physically but more spiritually. We can give teachers more guns. We can put more security inside our outside of school. Neither of these will always work. What will people want when the new precautions do not work in a new crisis? Teachers having weapons will just cause more dangerous possibilities; you never know who can get a hold of that gun. Of course, gun control should be stricter but no matter what people will have guns and if they want them, they will find some way to get them. The only thing that will get us through this is God. We must trust in his guidance and pray for blessings upon those heartbroken families. Events like these come up in our history. As students, this event is frightening. Who knows what could happen next or which school may be a next target. As a parent, school shootings are very difficult to think about, especially seeing the children who lost their lives at Sandy Hook. Tragedy has not only struck the residents of Newton, but also all around the world. All there is to do now is pray and trust in God.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura