My Thoughts on Newtown: Guns don’t kill

thomasb
Gun control is such a messy topic to fight about. All the contradictions, different opinions, facts, and so many words go back and forth between gun advocates and gun control leaders. Nonetheless, action must be taken for the multiple gun shootings that have taken place recently. The nation seems like they are putting the responsibility and cause of these shootings on the guns themselves. However, guns can’t kill people, only people can kill. So, instead of putting the fault on the guns, and creating more gun restrictions, the government should hold the person who committed these actions accountable.
If the intent of killing is there, the killing will happen. There is a motivation that these criminals get before they commit crime, and when they get this kind of drive, the crime will most likely happen with or without guns. If someone went on another mass killing, but used knifes instead, would knives then be considered to be regulated, or banned all together. People seem to forget a gun is just a tool, but like anything else, it can become a weapon because of the person handling it. A car, it could be the biggest weapon on the road, or it can be just a tool used for transportation. The government should start regulating people sanity, so we have less crazy people to commit these crimes in the first place. More than 40 percent of ex-cons wind up back in jail, and half a million crimes committed each year are by ex-convicts. The government should keep these people in jail, make sure they are stable enough to go back in the public, or find another place to put them because without them back on the streets, a lot less people would be dying.
Finally, the bill of rights and the 2nd amendment allows citizens to protect themselves against not only aggressive citizens, but tyrannical government. Why take away people’s rights because of a select few that probably have something mentally wrong with them. It’s not fair to the rest of the public who exercise the 2nd amendment, granting them to bear arms. This right gives people a feeling of safety and defense if they ever needed it to protect themselves. Also, countries with stricter gun rules and stricter gun control actually have higher violent crime rates. In Britain, there is a handgun ban and all handguns were confiscated, even from registered owners. Within one decade, handgun crimes have doubled there. So, taking away guns, and making gun restrictions will just make it harder for registered, sane people to obtain guns. People who still want guns illegally for crimes will always be able to find a way to get a hold of one, or just use another weapon. Gun free zones also are not a good idea because it just allows criminals with guns to target defenseless people, like the school shooting in Newtown. People need to start being regulated, not guns.
Comment by Dylan_Burnell

In china a man stabbed 22 people with a knife . only 9 made it to the hospital. aparently there was a gun ban in the area that he was in. You are right if a man wants to commit a crime a gun is not going to make much of a difference. i see gun free zones as HUGE targets becuase criminals look at it and see no oposition. like the theater shooting. it wasnt the closest theater to him there was like 6 in his area. but it was the only one that was gun free.
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:57:15 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura