My Thoughts on Newtown: Don’t Fight Fire with Fire.

EmiliaCristy

The country has suffered a tragic loss in the wake of the Connecticut Shooting. A tragedy such as that leaves the country in a state of loss, where and how can we recover? Well in my opinion we must not fight fire with fire. Many people are flocking to gun shops to purchase “protection” for themselves. Fighting fire with fire? When has that ever resulted in peace, when has that ever helped a single human-being? The answer to this tragedy is inexistent. No one can provide, not the government, school officials, or myself. How can anyone begin to comprehend the malevolent, sadistic thoughts of a person who willingly inflicts pain, suffering, and death to innocent children and their families. It is incomprehensible. If the country arms itself and allows teachers to have guns in their classrooms, what effect will that encouragement of violence have on the young people of the United States. I have been taught since elementary not to answer violence with violence, it is common curriculum these days. Some schools will even expel kids who fight back in an argument, the logic being that instead of one kid getting hurt, many more will be dragged in. If, god forbid, another tragedy as in Connecticut presents itself. A teacher may be able to calm the gunman, if rash behavior is taken the gunman may get agitated and cause more harm. I would suggest schools and the government to address the issue in a non-violence manner. Ensure that the school has security suitable to the schools environment, ensure the school teaches its students an evacuation plan and a way to lock down the school to prevent havoc from encroaching upon the students. Lastly, in the case that a tragedy does happen, a team of police officers must be at the ready to assist the school. Psychologists and therapists must be readily available to all those who need help, not only after a tragedy but before, to catch any potential dangers. All in all, I believe no good will ever result in responding to violence with violence, the peaceful approach always triumphs.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:23:44 PM