My thoughts on Newtown: Guns are not evil, people are

JoeLapi
In a recent shooting in Newton Connecticut, many people have been questioning whether or not the use of guns should stay the same, be guarded more strictly guarded, or banned completely. It is very tough for everyone to have the exact same standpoint in a very tough situation like this. Guns are a very protective yet dangerous weapon in today’s society. Therefore, it is important to be safe, but also it is important to not put any civilians in harm’s way. In addition to that statement, guns should still be allowed in today’s society, but their needs to be very strict laws and there has to be a very strict process in getting one. People should not be able to easily get guns, and police should have the right to constantly check people for their gun license.
Adding to those statements, some people maybe believe that video games, movies, or even television could cause some of these people to be involved in mass shooting. I disagree with those statements. The reason being is that the only people that could possibly be influences by that are little kids in elementary school. Those kids would never even come close to holding a weapon, and if they were even seen doing so, the consequences would be huge. Also, people with mental problems should not have the right to hold a gun either. Any person seen with a gun without a license, underage, or with mental illness should face the consequences. The laws need to become stricter to avoid these mass shootings or else people are going to do psychotic things like that as revenge towards people that they do not see eye to eye with. Little things like making the law a little bit stricter could go a very long way in avoiding incidents like the Newton Shooting.
Another idea when it comes to gun shootings and schools is that the schools should have a stricter security system. Touching on this topic briefly, if schools were to have stricter security systems that really crack down on people entering the building, nobody would have any worries at all of random people coming in and shooting harmless people. It is sickening to hear that people are doing things like mass shootings and schools, but these sick people will not be stopping unless they get caught, or are smart enough to realize that schools are cracking down on this, and the laws will not tolerate any of these actions.
All in all, the laws should not forbid people to own a gun because self defense is needed with these weapons. The laws must get stricter and not tolerate anything that is questionable. People should not be going to school worried or scared in anyway; they should be living their life feeling very safe and calm. If the laws get stricter the mass shootings will stop, and we will no longer have to hear such sick stories as the Newton shooting.