My Thoughts on Newtown: Guns Are Not Evil, People Are

michaelyear1
America as a whole nation now, are reacting to the tragic events over the past few months such as the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and the Aurora shooting in Connecticut. As if gun control was not heavily debated enough already, the Sandy Hook incident lit the spark for the controversy to spread through all of America’s citizens. With more and more gun related incidents occurring in the nation, many have suggested that everyday physicians and doctors take part of the gun control debate and use their voices to influence the threatening issue. Over 30,000 people are dying from gun injuries each year accounting for nearly 1 in 5 injury deaths in the United States of which 96% are suicides and homicides. Centers such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control claims that gun control is identified as a public health issue. The whole escapade of gun tragedies in schools has been led by a misconception of the main cause being the output and distribution of guns and gun control policies. The real problem of the matter however lies within the mentality of someone. Guns do not kill people; people kill other people. The truth is that if you give a gun to two different people, their mindsets and health determine if one wants to kill the other, not the actual distribution of the guns themselves. In addition to stricter gun control, there should be stricter background checks on mentally disabled and mentally unhealthy gun owners. Centers such as the CDC are calling for more funding for examining and identification of people at risk for violence in which mental health conditions play an extreme role. Doctors and physicians bring the medical aspect of gun violence in America and how it can be greatly lessened with correct funding to help find research in depression and psychotic disorders that would promote violence. In all the government should really pay attention to its people and make gun control its number one priority over controversial issues in the nation as it is greatly affecting America inside and out. With proper steps and precautions taken, gun violence can be significantly decreased as well as unwanted civilian casualties. I have no idea went through that man’s mind to kill innocent elementary kids as well as innocent teachers is beyond what I could ever comprehend to see the event as good will. I was completely saddened when I heard of this event and I pray now that no medical disorder will make others kill innocent people moving forward from now.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura