My thoughts on Newtown: We can't blame the gun; we have to blame the people

CaseyBerg5
"There is a lot of talk now about metal detectors and gun control. Both are good things. But they are no more a solution than forks and spoons are a solution to world hunger"(Quindlen). Even if we change the gun control laws, that won’t stop criminals from getting guns. Criminals will go to any length to get what they want. Drugs may be illegal but that doesn’t stop criminals from getting them. Making it so they have to take a psychological exam or any other kind of test in order for them to get a gun will not stop any criminal.
If they want to add a psychological exam when you purchase a gun they can but that doesn’t mean that someone won’t get sick after they had bought the gun. “The United States ranks 24th in the world in terms of its murder rate. It also has the most highly armed civilian population” (Becker). If you think about it, if the United States let us carry then maybe the murder rate would decrees. Criminals would realize that they aren’t the only ones that are carrying, so they would know that there is a chance that they could end up dead instead.
“States that allow law-abiding citizens to carry concealed handguns enjoy a 60 percent decrease in multiple-victim public shootings and a 78 percent decrease in victims per attack”(Lott Jr.,Landes). Basically more guns means less crime. If more people have guns then that means fewer criminals will try and attack. Maybe if a teacher had a concealed weapon at Sandy Hook Elementary they could have stopped Adam Lanza. If Lanza saw somebody pull a weapon on him maybe he would have backed down and not killed those students and teachers. The guns should have been locked in a safe and Lanza shouldn’t have known the combination to the safe.
Just changing how you can get a gun isn’t going to change how criminals act. If you change the law that in the United States you are allowed to carry a concealed weapon then maybe the criminal rate would drop. Some people shouldn’t have a weapon on them so a psychological test should be performed when applying for a gun permit. If you own a gun in America you should be subject to random psychological tests. I think the random psychological tests are important because somebody can randomly snap.
I believe that they should change the laws in some ways. I strongly believe that American citizens should have the right to carry, and when applying you must take a psychological test.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:25:01 PM
Comment by JulianDujarric

You bring up some valid points. I'd love to discuss this further for a potential story on Channel One News. Let me know if you're interested / available.

Julian Dujarric
Anchor / Reporter - Channel One News
DujarricJ@cbsnews.com
646.938.8365
http://ChannelOne.com
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:31:36 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura