Mirrored Emotions

kellyxpx
It took me about 24 hours to truly think interpret my inner emotions. Have I ever cared about something as much as this event that has truly no significance to my own personal life? For days following the incident, I was almost dangerously speechless. The only thoughts skimming the lining of my mind were the beautiful faces of the children and staff. I was also truly bothered due to the joyous time of year that everyone has fond memories of. Christmas has been turned into a gruesome holiday.
My brother, 20 and extremely sensitive about world disasters, sent me a short text message stating “20 kids were shot in an elementary school plus teachers and the kid’s mom. I’m lost for words.” By reading the last sentence containing only four words, I felt mutual. Both my brother and I worked for an aftercare program, watching kids whose ages ranged from 5-12. My specific group to care for was the second graders. Though I only worked there for one school year, it hit me even before the shooting that this grade is almost necessary for all people to go through. At this specific time, a child’s personality is sculpted. They have likes and dislikes. Favorites and least favorites. Hobbies. Habits. It stands out from any other grade levels due to such molding processes. They are humans and are essentially crafted at this age of their life. Taking a step back from this fact, how can a man enter a school and kill 18 beautiful children that he had absolutely no connection to? He became the enemy to millions of unstable people and escaped the hatred far too easily when relocating the gun to his own self. Knowing this, how is the world supposed to feel as we mourn in different ways? Furthermore, my opinion on weapon limitations is very basic- citizens should not own any! The only individuals who should be legally armed are those that withhold occupations in law or protection. Even these people should be psych-evaluated and signed off by a person of a higher power (mayor, governor, maybe even the president.) This may sound outrageous, but I feel that it is a responsible way to trust any individual.
Though this is brief, I do not have much of an argumentative opinion towards this tragedy. My emotions are a reflection of the rest of the world who are continuing to mourn and grieve even after five full weeks of passing time. Ultimately, the shooting was horrid and put an extra sensitive feel on the holidays. Our hearts will never be as stable and they once were and hopefully the families are managing to get through this the best way possible.