STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: Tragedy for America, shouldn't be for guns!

stevenmg18
What occurred in Newtown is a horrible and tragic event. The response by many American – there should be gun restrictions. So what does this really mean? As a conservative republican and I follow a specific ideology. Especially since I’m a hunter, I don’t believe there should be gun restrictions at all. I also don’t believe there has been a more important time in American history for the 2nd Amendment to be upheld to the fullest degree than right now! Bearing in mind the intent of it’s authors and the ones who ratified it. The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights. The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess and carry firearms. In 2008 and 2010, the Supreme Court issued two landmark decisions officially establishing this interpretation. In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. In dicta, the Court listed many longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession as being consistent with the Second Amendment. In McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025 (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government. It would be better off finding solutions rather than "controlling" guns. What we find is that such laws punish the innocent law abiding gun owners and criminals of course ignore such laws. Overall, my stance is to keep the 2nd amendment with no restrictions on it but find a solution to this madness that has surfaced. People need to look at the big picture. There have been mass murders before Newtown and now it’s more important to abolish the 2nd amendment? I just feel like people need to really understand and read the 2nd amendment. There should not be any restrictions on it but keep it the same or find solutions. Terrible tragedy of Newtown, but we need to look at the bigger picture. Was the 2nd amendment part of the American dream for people? Is it still something people value as an essential to get to their American Dream? Therefore, these were my thoughts on the Newtown and my stance on “gun-control”.
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 3:42:34 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy