STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Pulchur River

jlmartell14
The panic began to set in and the forest began to feel like it was closing in on us. Night is starting to fall and we have no choice but to fall asleep till morning.
“If we can just make it through the first night, then we can make our way back” said Carrie and everyone nodded in agreement.
I begin to set up my sleeping quarters by finding a nice soft place to sleep. I won’t be needing any extra gear because the air is still warm and it doesn’t seem as though it’s going to rain. My eyes feel heavy so I decide not to fight it and fall asleep.
Morning comes quickly and everyone is ready to get home. The map has been given to Carrie, not because we blame Ben but because we feel it’s better to get some fresh eyes on it. We start to walk but as time passes, nothing seems to look familiar. Our food supply is low and the water supply is gone, we are desperate to find our way back. Noon time approaches and we all need a break. We plop down on the wet ground and search our bag to find scraps of food or any water. Our half day hike has turned into a two day nightmare.
“What’re we going to do? The map’s useless, we have no food and we’re lost” said Trevor in a weak voice.
At this point nobody has any energy to keep movie so we decide to stay put. My mind starts to wander and I can’t shake the sound of a river in my head. It sounds as though it’s getting louder and then I realize, it’s not in my head. With all the energy I have left I get myself up and walk a little ways and there it is, a big clearing.... Pulcher River.
“I found it!” I yell to the others.
They all get up and run towards it. It’s the most beautiful, natural thing I’ve ever seen. The water is crystal clear, and the light reflects just right off the rocks. The others begin to fill their waters but I’m just stopped staring. How could we miss this? Why did we find it when we weren’t looking? It’s as if it didn’t want to be found.
Now that we have found the River, we can use the map to find our way back. We get on our way and stick to the map EXACTLY. 2 hours pass and we finally arrive back at our cabin safe and sound. I think it will be a very long time before any of us to decide to go on a hike anywhere again.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy