My thoughts on Newtown: Guns are too dangerous to be allowed to every man

Abby Palmer
The Newton, Connecticut Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was nationally heartbreaking on many levels. A question millions were left asking themselves, “How is it, that society has become so ill and twisted, as these shootings are becoming less and less rare?” In my small opinion, all of society is not sick or wrong. It’s the few, mentally ill and poisoned with different ailments occupying their brains and minds, creating evil thoughts that turn into action, unspeakable tragic events that will be remembered throughout the history of America. Violence is not caused by guns, it is caused by people. Guns do not murder people, people murder people.
Some people strongly believe that we can blame violent lyrics in today popular music, and first had shooter video games for polluting the minds of children and turning them into adults who commit mass homicides. I believe it is true that you are a product of your environment, yet I don’t think it’s entirely possible that these factors could solely be the reasons to make people kill. Mental illness is, in my opinion. And by allowing any person with a license to carry a concealed weapon is essentially, and apparently unknowingly allowing the mentally ill to be able to strike at any time. I suppose you could say its not entirely their fault, something is completely missing in their thought process, obviously someone with good nature and natural human thought processing skills could never commit such a violent act like the Sandy Hook shooting. So why are our gun laws allowing this? It’s almost as sick and wrong as the crimes itself. There needs to be a change.
If only police and military had the right to carry firearms of any sort, of course this wouldn’t get rid of all forms of violent crimes. Death by knives and other various weapons still occur. Police could sometimes misuse their powers. The sad truth is that no matter what laws the government changes to protect us, there will always be violence and darkness in the world. But if guns were only legally allowed to a certain few, whose job is to protect US citizens, I know shootings would decrease.
Turning our focus to prevention of mental illnesses in America is a crucial first step. To assist and help those who create shooting crimes, would obviously decrease shooting crimes. The mentally ill have always, and will always exist but we can enlist professionals to focus on depleting the violent thoughts in their minds.
All in all, I believe that if we only allowed police and military men and women to carry firearms, while we worked to help the mentally ill, our country would be significantly safer. To be able to rid thousands of Americans of the grief caused by a lost family member or friend, would be a miracle within itself.