STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: Shooting from the Hip About Gun Violence

michaelhourahan94

What causes someone to kill? That was the question I pondered as I walked into my Criminal Justice class on December 15th, the first day of class following the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. I knew that there would be heated discussion on the viability of gun control laws and I was prepared to defend my anti-gun control dogma to the death as I had so many times before. As I took my seat I prepared my arsenal of redundant gun control statistics and my many conservative colloquialisms, chiefly amongst them the age old saying, “Guns don’t kill people; people kill people.” I realized that my position on gun control was firm; I was not going to deviate from the constitutional values I hold so dear. But as I reflected on my original question, I found myself drifting further from the political aspect of the problem and more toward the social aspect. One glaring fact was clear: twenty-six people lied dead in Newtown, the majority of them being kids barely old enough to tie their shoes. There was a problem, a problem that indeed needed a solution, but if legislation could not solve the problem, what could?

I listened contemptuously as the class bantered about the politics of the issue. How could these students use the death of children as political capital? Without raising my hand, I interrupted one of my classmates mid-sentence and blurted out (rather loudly) the question I was so hung up on: “What causes people to kill?” Unfortunately, the answer was right in front of me. It was an uncaring society that caused people to kill. It was a society, a classroom, that only a day after a massive shooting was so eager to exploit the fragile political climate that often follows tragedy. My question went unheeded and the class continued discussion until the bell. I remained silent for most of the day, only pausing to talk to friends I could hardly avoid.

When I got home I deliberated the issue some more and realized something startling. Movies, television shows, magazines, newspapers, and videogames all have something in common: they all in some way depict, promote, or glorify violence. In today’s world it is difficult to avoid violence. This is especially true in the adolescent world where one’s inherent size and predisposition to be combative are seen as signs of masculinity. People who fit this profile are often the envy of many of my peers. Those who are not strong in the physical world are strong in the cyber-reality world of videogames. These videogames are often first person shooters in which the main objective is to kill as many of the enemy as possible. Finally, kids who watch television are further bombarded with images of death. So where do we go from here? In short, this generation needs to reassess its definition of humanity. It is true that guns don’t kill people. However, without a sense of common humanity, guns are the least of our problems.
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:53:51 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Thisguy13

I really agree on what you are saying in the post! There are so many undefined reasons of why people kill. The problem is not the guns, it is the poeple behind the guns. Whether it is people with mental problems or people who have just had a horrible past!!!! Banning Guns is definintely not the answer to the problem.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:46:29 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy