My Thoughts on Newtown: CT Shooting

danilaporta
Danielle LaPorta
CT school shooting

Today, we are faced with a reality in 2013 that many of us want to change. With the wakeup call from last month's Newtown, CT school shooting; this tragedy brought another reminder that something is wrong. The question is, how do we prevent this from reoccurring? Some advocate gun rights and others gun control. In my opinion, I believe that our country should regulate both gun control AND gun rights. Following, I believe that both should be considered because any average American shouldn’t be able to have a gun without a proper background check. I understand that guns are for self-defense and sporting but I don’t believe that they should be held within a home. When purchasing a gun, they should run an indebt, 2-3 month background search to see if you are mentally stable or have any history in violence. No one should be able to have a gun lying around that is easy to snatch. During this tragedy, the mentally ill son stole his mother’s gun to shoot the innocent children. If you know there’s a child with mental disabilities in your home, why is there a gun, or multiple guns, present? Lives wouldn’t be lost and hearts wouldn’t be broken if the person who sold the gun did the right thing.
Personally, I’m sickened by this event and angered. There’s no one to blame besides the insane man who committed this crime. Children are supposed to feel safe when going to school, not frightened. Any child who enters school shouldn’t have to wonder if it’s going to happen to them. To prevent this, school systems need to provide better security and bullet proof windows and doors. No one should be able to enter the school, unlocked. A parent can enter but with only a personal identification. I understand tragedies like these can’t always be prevented but schools should take precaution to try. Congress needs to take control and add more protection within the schools. Children, teens and staff should be able to go to school without a doubt of safety. In my current stage of life as a High School student, I go to school feeling safe as usual but since the tragedy that doubt has always been in the back of my mind. Nothing has been done or said lately to reassure the safety of my peers and I. Hopefully in the future we will see change and we will never see something as awful as that shooting ever again.