STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: Gun Rights Exposed

SunnyChopper
After the Newtown shooting, people are starting to reconsider gun laws. The people want more gun control and less people control, and the people want to ban high capacity magazines. My opinion is that we take out all semi-automatic weapons away. The only way to move forward is to remove semi-automatic guns from the public.

After the shooting, many people were in debate about whether the government needs to spend time more on people control or gun control coming into the new year. but as expected, people are tending to reform the gun laws that allow people to get semi-automatic weapons. With tighter gun laws, it will be harder to get these weapons, as for a background check will be placed. As one states, "The December massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., seems to have swayed public opinion on stricter gun-control laws, a poll indicated." Gun laws are one of the most important components we need to fix to keep the weapons out of evil hands.

Many people were also shocked to find that the gunman had shot 20 children. That is why the government, including the president, and the people of United States want to ban high-capacity magazines along with semi-automatics. High capacity magazines can range from having 30 to 100 rounds in one magazine, which makes the weapon much more deadly because the gunman does not have to reload as often. As one states, " "I'm from a rural area in the South, I grew up in a gun culture, my father hunted," Leslie Hodges, a 64-year-old gun owner from Atlanta, said in a follow-up interview. "However, I don't believe being able to have a gun keeps you from thinking reasonably about changes that would keep someone from walking into a school and being able to kill 20 children in 20 seconds. I think that we can say, O.K., we want the freedom to have guns in this country, but there are rules we can all agree to that will make us all safer." " Banning high capacity magazines is important because it takes the away time that the gunman has to become more lethal. If the gunman has to reload every so often, there is less time that the gunman is now deadly, so banning high capacity magazines would be an important move to take step forward to a safer community.

The Newtown shooting is probably one of the most tragic shootings in US history. It is a flaw in humanity, in the gun laws, and most importantly the community. As we move forward, we look to tighten these gun laws, allowing for a safer community. We also look to banning high capacity magazines, allowing for a window of time. Guns are not toys, and the laws should also change according to that.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy