STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: Stop pointing fingers

bbigday
I remember the feeling of my heart’s freefall into my stomach when my father said, "There was a shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut.” I was suddenly ill and the feeling would not dissipate for days, if not weeks. As more details surfaced and the reality began to set in I grew increasingly unsettled. Seeing people laughing and going about normal life seemed insane, insensitive even. I recall feeling relatively foolish for being so distraught since I hadn't known any of the persons involved, but as I listened to the radio and the news I knew I was not alone. The actions of this one man had temporarily wounded, if not completely shattered, the hearts of a nation. The media circus would arrive in Newtown and soon after the shock began to wear off people wanted to point fingers because, as written in To Kill a Mockingbird, "It helps folks if they can latch onto a reason." People would say video games, gun laws, and mental health were at fault. In the following weeks it seemed the nation had regained the wild energy seen during the presidential election as, quite suddenly, everyone was a politician and everyone had a solution. This tragic event would ignite debates about gun laws and strike fear into the hearts of parents and students everywhere. Then the threats began, I watched in horror as one school after another went on lockdown after receiving violent threats. I can explain first hand the extreme sensation of fear one experiences when this happens, as my school spent two days that week on lockout after threats made on social media forums, similar to other schools in the tri-state area. Countless students in my school did not attend those two days of school. Some said that it was just a joke and others were not taking any chances. One thing everyone had in common was a general uneasiness those two days as we walked the halls cautiously and locked doors during classes. Then, as if the death of children in Newtown and the fear of children everywhere else wasn't enough people began to say that the whole event was a government conspiracy to pass gun laws. That’s utterly disgusting. How could anyone disrespect the families of those who died like that? Now, where do we go from here? My question is why did we wait so long? This is not the first massacre. What is the message from our people? “Kill everyone else, that's fine. Mess with our kids, now it's a problem”? In my opinion it’s necessary for all parties of government to adjoin and find a comparable solution because it is plausible to think that no one would want to see this happen again. I'm sick of the blame game; I just want a sense of safety again. The reality is there is no one thing that has created this epidemic and therefore there is no one solution but, something has to be done.
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:51:59 AM
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:30:42 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy