My Thoughts on Newtown

xcswim2012
Just a month ago, an unthinkable event brought the country closer together. The shooting in Newtown Connecticut caused mixed emotions among people who heard of this awful tragedy. Since the day of the incident, the question of who is to blame has arisen in our society. While everyone has different opinions of who the culprit is, I believe that society is the answer.
Ever since we were little, we were taught, “treat others as you wish to be treated” and “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all”. While these aphorisms send an important message of how to behave in a respectful manner, it is not our reality. As we have slowly grown out of our training wheels and embarked on the journey ahead, we have realized that the world is not as happy as we had assumed. It should not be until we get older, that we discover the unfairness of the real world. In no way do I believe that people should learn to “suck it up” or “stay strong” because hiding emotions can lead to more personal distress.
If I had the ability to propose a solution to the mass shootings, I would start at the root of the problem, our environment. In our society there are unspoken rules of how men and women should act to be considered socially acceptable. In particular, men are taught to be brave and athletic, while women are taught to be considerate and compromising. The mindset that we live in is so narrow that it is almost difficult to be accepted if we are different.
Nearly all of the shooters from tragedies such as Columbine and Virginia Tech have been men, and all of them have felt as though they were different from everybody else. Maybe if we had raised these men in a more accepting and open- minded society, then they would have not felt the need to hurt others as revenge.