STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: A Message for Gun Control and Prevention of Tragedy

C95
In this world today we face many challenges as our population grows and many issues once ignored come to light. With the advancement in technology and the changing in social communication, the world is moving much faster than before and information is more widely given. As newcomers to this type of society and world, I think it would be in humanity's best interest to take a step back and think everything over. In light of the recent shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, I feel this is another wakeup call for such action. We must accept the necessary precautions and requirements when dealing with the advancement of our society.
My solution for dealing with gun control and shooting prevention is quite simple. I do not think every school employee should carry a weapon, quite simply because what if it is the school employee who decides to go on a rampage. I do not think a 'uniformed' officer alone should be posted at every school because if I was a gunman that officer would be my first target. I do not think the smart gun, which only allows registered owners to use the weapon, is very smart at all. For instance, if the owner of a gun went out on a date with a woman in Texas, and a guy comes up to them with a gun asking for their money and shoots the owner as the owner pulls out his own gun; how will his date be able to use that gun to defend her own life if she is not registered for it? Is she to be left to her own demise? My own solution to the prevention of public gun violence is a sort of combination of the previous solutions, only more applicable and reasonable. The installment of armed officers is necessary for appropriate qualified protection; however, in my solution one officer is uniformed and another anonymous. Instead of 'smart guns' I think simple chips, like those placed within merchandise in a store, should be required and placed in every gun along with scanners placed at every entrance which would go off like those in stores do at the presence of a stolen item, or in this case a gun. The beeping scanners would then trigger an alarm alerting the school like a tornado drill. The uniformed officer would be the one to look over these scanners and handle any situation regarding a gun. However, as a precaution a non-uniformed anonymous officer will be in the building should the uniformed officer have been targeted and immediate assistance is needed in the event of a shooting or other incident. This model could be used in any institution such as a mall or bank or even transportation. In this way, safety can be guaranteed on both ends of the spectrum: those who need a gun for their own immediate safety in a situation can have it when they need it, and those seeking to prevent tragic uses of the gun in public places have their safety precautions for prevention.
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:22:33 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy