Thoughts on Newtown: False Accusations

cmarino
With the election causing a big stir among many US citizens, the recent tragedy in Connecticut has brought many issues to head when it comes to gun control and gun rights. Some believe that the horrific shooting in Connecticut was caused by the availability of guns to the general public, and that these rights should be taken away. Others believe that gun rights themselves had nothing to do with the shooting. For me, my belief is simply that the gun caused the pain and death, but the gun did not pull its own trigger. As much as one may want to point fingers at the weapon, we cannot blame the gun for this horrendous incident, just like one cannot blame the knife in a stabbing or the pencil when a test is failed. What we need to point fingers at is the person behind all of these acts; the shooter, the stabber, or yourself for not studying well enough the night before. Developing more on this statement, I do not believe that total gun control is the answer to the growing level of violence in our country. By introducing a gun control act, the government infringes on our constitutional rights that we proudly possess as United States citizens. We have a “right to bear arms” which is clearly stated in the Constitution. Gun control, however small the restrictions seem to be at first, would be blatantly denying us of one of our rights to protection.
So what can be done about this violence? Where do we go from here? Ultimately, we cannot do much to stop the increasing violence in our country. The heart of the problem, I believe, is the absence of God from schools, and the ever increasing amount of violent video games and movies. Putting God back into schools and keeping a close eye on what our young and upcoming generation watches will greatly help this violence present in society today. Infringing on our rights through gun control will only fuel the fire of crime and illegal activity, and therefore I believe this act will backfire tremendously. Even with a controlling act in place, guns will still be bought and sold, even if they are in the setting of an underground market. Instead, our country should start to follow the principles our nation was founded on: conservative and Christian values.