My Thoughts on Newtown: Horrified but not Shocked

flummerie
December 14th was just another Friday for me. I can’t even remember the nuances of that day, just that I wanted to end the school week quick. It was one of those days where it blends and mashes itself into a dark corner in the back of my head. Just one of many days I’ve lived so far.

As soon as I got home though, I realized that although it was a run-of-the-mill Friday for me, others weren’t so lucky. Websites greeted me with images of devastated parents and pictures of people that had passed from this world. I must have spent at least an hour just gathering news on Sandy Hook.

Though sad to say, I have to admit that when I read about Newtown, I was horrified but not shocked at the news. It only reminded me of the Aurora shooting that had occurred about half a year before. And all the countless shootings before that. After all of these incidents, Newtown just became another event thrown into the mix for me. No matter how much time passes, any shooting, no matter how old or small, is just as bad as the biggest, most recent one.

Even the days after that were filled with grief and pain but also one new emotion. Anger. I saw so many people vying to have guns outlawed to prevent such horrible disasters like this one from ever happening again. That’s when I started thinking, is that what’s right?

As the gears in my head started ticking, I began to go through what every person experiences as they consider the pros and cons. Like most people, I reasoned that if laws did allow gun control, then it might cut back on crimes involving guns. On the other hand, many criminals would just slip by such laws and use guns anyway. How do we get past this stalemate?

Compromise is almost always the answer. And in this case, it is. Schools and communities can start to establish gun safety and self defense lessons that everyone must go through every once in a while. Teaching people about how to deal with guns and to protect themselves will go a long way once an actual event starts. Ignorance isn’t always bliss.

Meanwhile, the government doesn’t have to quite outright ban all guns with this method set in place. While maintaining the image of a country with free rights, we can start to build a safer society with no mishaps like these ever happening again.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:24:27 PM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura