My Thoughts on Newton: Moving Forward

jay_bauer42
No amount of words could describe the horrific event of the massacre that occurred in Newton, Connecticut. The hearts of everyone go out to all those who lost someone they cared for and those who were lost. There is no logical reason why a young man woke up and decided to take the lives of so many innocent beings. This event left the world desperate for answers and desperate for comfort. Those directly impacted tear themselves apart with the what-ifs: What if I had just let my child stay home from school that day? Why if I had sent my child to another school? What if I had just slept in late-my child would have been late to school.
Any tragic event sparks the thoughts of what should have been done to prevent such a horrible event from occurring. Devastation is the sidekick of loss, and both show no mercy towards those affected. Tragedies have a knack for holding us back from progress because of guilt. Tragedies give us false permission to put the blame solely on ourselves; because we survived, we’re at fault. But we’re only human, and we cannot change the past, no matter how greatly we want to go back.
It’s not about what should have been done then; it’s about what can be done now. Moving forward is the only way to go from a tragic event. Moving forward doesn’t entail forgetting what happened or no longer feeling the pain. Moving forward entails remember exactly what happened, and using that remembrance to fuel a powerful change.
Every event in life alters every person in some way. Change is how we grow, how we learn. Sometimes change is the result of a tragedy, so without the tragedy there would be no change.
I am not a government official or a law enforcer; I have no power by political or social standards, but I do have an opinion. I believe the steps to moving forward have already begun. We’ve come together as a nation to comfort one another, to support one another. The goodness of humanity has overcome the cruelty of one corrupt individual. The next step is one that is towards the right decision—What can we do better to protect lives? What can we do to recognize that tragedy is always there, but always with a light at the end of the tunnel?
Our lives have forever been changed by the events in Newton, but the only place we can go is forward. The past will always be there to remind us of what can happen. However, the present is here for us to grasp firmly so that we may venture into the future with hope and with unity. Our hearts will always go out to those who experience heartbreaking events, and there will always be someone there to help pick someone else up from disasters. Tragedies, although devastating and shattering, come with a light shining within in the darkness.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura