STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newton: Guns are Not the Problem

Mind_of_BP
When I first heard of the tragedy in Newton I was in the car, listening to the radio on my way home from school. The station did not say exactly what happened so I quickly pulled out my phone and check a news app. I was horrified. I had heard of the same kind of cruel, heartless behavior before but not like this. I could not wrap my mind around the idea of a grown man with a military grade assault rifle, enter a place where children are supposed to feel safe and protected, and pull the trigger. My heart and stomach dropped every time I saw the pictures from the Sandy Hook campus. In the following weeks I heard a lot about politicians, CEOs and even college basketball coaches giving their two cents on the subject of gun control laws. They all argued about how guns can decrease violence or how they increase violence but I could not help but think that it wasn’t the guns that caused heartless acts of violence, but instead it was the people wielding them. Guns don’t kill people, people do. And that is exactly what Congress should be thinking of when trying to prevent the next mass shooting. Instead of increasing gun controls on the American public, Congress should instead look into what they can do to help the mentally unstable. A national database of individuals who are mentally unstable or on the verge on mental instability would allow psychologists to work with the people on the list and help them cope with whatever problems they may have and prevent them from possibly committing an act of mindless violence. Working with those who are mentally unstable would also improve their lives by helping them phase back in with everyday society and help them become “sensitized” again. Alas politicians are still more focused on the tools wielded by those in mass shooting instead of focusing on those wielding the weapons. I’m still touched deeply each time I read of the Newton tragedy and those poor kindergartners that never got to experience Christmas with their families, open those presents they saw under their trees only a few hours earlier. A few days measly away from Winter Vacation, those innocent children had lives cut short, much, much, too short. And focusing on guns will not pervert this type of event from happening again in the future, instead focusing on those who will be wielding the weapons in the future is the only way to truly minimize these terrible tragedies.
Rate this:
Comment by Dylan_Burnell

I wholeheartedly agree. Did you know that last year more solders died by committing suicide than they did in the field. And you are right . did you know a man in china stabbed 22 people and only 9 made it to the hospital. No guns involved yet it was still a tragic killing. I also think that the media is partly to blame because they make it sound so glamorous to go out and do this. Most people cant name a single victim from one of these shootings but i bet you could say the shooters name and everybody would know. It is just sad that people don't view mental illnesses as a problem and that its the honest people and the mentaly stable people who suffer for the stupidity and crimes of a few. ( not that all mentaly unstable people are bad or are going to do something of this nature. )
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:16:10 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Kwweesten

Well said.
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:28:49 PM
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:08:18 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy