My Thoughts on Newtown: It Only Takes One

Knitwit
After hearing about the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, my heart ached for the poor families that lost a loved one, the people that didn’t get a warning when their loved one was going to get ripped away from them. While my heart ached for the little angels, my mind soared to the reason this happened. It took one man with a gun to destroy the feeling of safety that school brings for so many children. Sometimes, school is the only sanctuary children have. With one man, these feelings vanished. It only took one man to shock the United States of America into mourning.
Would stricter gun control laws have stopped that monster from killing little angels? No one can know the answer and have total confidence in his or her response answer. No one can predict what people are going to do, no matter how predictable they seem. Would having teachers carry weapons stop all future attacks on schools? It might, but it would also stop the feeling of being safe in schools. Everyone should be able to walk into a United States of America school and feel safe. Visitors and students should not have to worry about weapons being drawn on them. After the Newtown attacks, I looked around all my classes and tried to imagine where we would hide if something like that happened to us. In some classes, I felt absolutely safe. In other classes I realized that no matter how hard our teachers tried, they would not be able to protect us. Having my teachers carry guns might make me feel safer, but I wish we could live in a world where students are safe in their classrooms, without guns.
My school was hit hard by the attacks on Sandy Hook Elementary. We have a lot of common characteristics; both of our schools are located in small towns where everybody knows each other. Taking a walk through our school after the shooting, one could see our school was heartbroken. Our teachers discussed the tragedy with us and tried to steady our nerves. In some classes, our teachers had talks with us about what their plan would be if something like that happened. In art society, we created a memorial. We gathered all of the victims’ names, ages, and photographs. We cut out twenty six presents and put the name, age, and photo of an angel on each one. Our adviser created a banner where students can write messages to the residents of Newtown. Our school mourned for the school much like ours in Connecticut.
While it only takes one person to create a national disaster, it takes a nation to make the world seem safe again. In my community, we are not allowing one person to destroy the goodness of our country. We are helping everyone find the good again. Evil starts with itself and continues with itself, but goodness starts with one person and continues until a nation is reached.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura