My Thoughts on Newtown: New Gun Laws are needed

Jrollason
The tragic events of Newtown, Connecticut hurt the hearts of millions around the world. I believe that the gun laws are too lenient in regards to the mental state of the consumer, and the type of weapons people are able to buy. I believe that when people buy weapons in general, they need to pass a ore vigorous mental stability test, so that they don’t go on rampages, such as in Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech, and Tucson. Each of the shooters had a mental health issue, in which the gun-screening test failed to notice. Many states as Texas, Missouri, Arizona, and Nevada have scored below a 25 on the Brady Campaign Gun Law scorecard map of the United States. This means that in each state, they do very little to prevent the trade of illegal guns, and allow the sale of guns with out background checks. The sale of guns without a background check should be banned, and a new law should be put in effect, which would make every business that sells guns required to give the consumer a background check. I also believe the sale of large automatic rifles should be banned. Nobody needs an M16 or and AK-47, it’s just extremely unnecessary to own a gun of that size, and one that could do that much damage. The only reason you should need a gun is to defend yourself. And a small handgun can do that. Not a shotgun or a fully automatic rifle. A law should be put in, that a gun should be a certain weight and size to be able to be purchased. But in the end, all you really need to do is be careful who you sell guns to. If someone has a history of violence, or has a mental disability, they shouldn’t be eligible to purchase a gun, that’s it.