My thoughts on Newton: We are the problem and the solution

lovethewild
The shooting that happened just a month ago had devastated the entire nation. Everybody mourned as they looked for problem and many assumptions have been made. I, for one, believe the tragedy was not a result of the 2nd amendment or even violent videogames; it was the result of an uncensored and ignorant society. In this modern society, most people exist only for themselves. We are detached from our neighbors and peers, only thinking about ourselves and our families. The only time we ever bond together as a nation is if a big sports event, such as the Olympics, or a tragedy, like the shooting mentioned above, happens. Every other day, we are ignorant and oblivious to the pain that our neighbors might be going through.
People suffer every day, but as self centered human beings, we ignore their cries for help and continue onto out merry way, only caring about ourselves. We may never know the true reason the gunman had for killing all the innocent children, but the authorities have mentioned that Lanza had suffered from a personality disorder. People with personality disorders often suffer in silence because nobody wants to help someone with a disorder. As human beings, we usually steer clear of people who aren’t like us and in return, they suffer. Perhaps all Lanza needed was a friend who could talk and help him, but because of today’s society, he probably never got it.
Many deaths happen because of our unawareness. We choose not to help the people in need and when they make mistakes, we blame them for everything. There are many bullies in this world who create a malevolent environment for their victims. Many of the victims don’t know how to deal with it and they harm themselves, believing that they are unwanted and unloved. Suicide happens every day because of our silence and our ignorance. We have so much power in our actions and many of us choose the wrong choices.
The problem lies within all of us, not the guns. We are the ones that make the choices, not the guns. We are the ones that hurt each other, not the guns. However, even though we are the problem, we all have the solution. We all need to unite as one and help our neighbors out instead off surfing the web and posting up pictures of us in compromising situations. The fortunate should help the unfortunate. We need to help those in need whether it is to offer them a listening ear, or loaning them some money for their heart surgery. What we need to change isn’t the gun laws, we need to change ourselves. We can either be the problem or the solution and with the right choices, we make the world paradise.