STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: Guns don't kill people, People Kill People

ChelsPaigeR97
I believe that the gun was not the reason those students and teachers in Newtown died. I believe that it was the man behind it. A gun is just a gun, it cannot move or take action; a person can. The man behind the gun used the gun, the gun was used to kill the students and teachers, but, it is an inanimate object. The man who shot those students and teachers was of unstable mind, he had mental health problems and corrupt thoughts in his head. I am in no way saying that this was not a tragedy because it was. It was a terrible thing that, that man took the lives of those innocent people. That’s just it though. The MAN took the lives of those innocent people, not the gun he used. He himself took the lives of those people. I believe that the second amendment should be kept in place and remain the same because not everyone in the United States who owns a gun is an unstable person who is going to use their guns to kill others. People use guns for hunting game, and use the guns for protection against intruders in their homes; some even carry guns on their person for protection because maybe they have a job they walk home from or a long way to where they parked their car. They use these guns for protection, not to harm innocent people, just for protection and hunting. I would never expect those students to go back to their old school though, too much happened there for them to be expected to just go back. Those children and teachers alike had to watch other students and teachers be shot down. They will have to live with those images in their minds for as long as they live. The emotional scars that they have must be unbearable. I believe they should send the children of Newtown Elementary to other schools in the district until they can tear that old building down and replace it with a new building a building that brings no recollection of what happened. They will not forget what happened but I believe that if they no longer had to go to that school that it may not be so terrible for them. They have suffered unimaginable events, they were the survivors. The best that the community can do is to attempt to move forward in a new direction to help the survivors of this tragedy. That fateful day in that school in Newtown opened many eyes and broke many hearts. The first thing they wanted to put the blame on was the gun that killed the innocent victims, but it was the man behind it who deserved the blame. Since he took his life after he took the lives of those people, the parents and survivors had no one to put the blame on but the gun used in the shooting. I understand that they are in unimaginable emotional pain, but it was not the gun used that the blame belonged to, it was the man using it.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy