My Thoughts on Newtown: The Deadliest Silence

aarong
In the aftermath of an event such as the Newtown shooting everyone demands immediate action; they press for laws and demand policies change. But everyone ignores that which is right in front of them. The gun didn’t do the killing , it only magnified the impact Adam Lanza’s emotions had on the world. The press and every day gossipers judged Adam by the following facts: he was distant from classmates, presented unsocial tendencies and was infatuated by first person shooter games. From what I’ve read, his mother waited till he was 18 to decide it was time to get him “help”. In the years prior to his shooting did anyone extend a hand or an invitation to this poor young man, a simple lunch time conversation would have sufficed. The problem our nation faces is not that troubled citizens are going out and shooting others, but that they are being given a reason to. Most of those who have committed such acts tended to show the same characteristics; lonely, distant, overall unsocial. In today’s society we are thriving due to many technological advances. The same kids who are being teased and bullied in school, harshly judged because they did not conform, but were themselves, are the same engineers who 10 years later will make our lives better. I don’t stand to justify what Adam Lanza did, nor do I justify any other similar event. But if we all rewind the tape and examine what was missing, what simple adjustment could have been made to possibly avoid the shooting from ever happening. It is quite simple, talking. Saying “hey” to the awkward kid in your class, or sitting with the lonely kid at lunch could make a huge difference in their life, and quite possibly yours as well. So need we pass new legislation laws? No, we do not. For many this will bring a feeling a piece to them, for others it will simply be a new opportunity for illegal business. The one thing we must do, the one thing we can no longer put off, is talking. Simply communicating with one another. Whether it be anonymous or directly face to face, many kids need a place to turn, one where they are sure no one is out to judge them.