My Thoughts on Newtown: Nothing Has Changed

miagrace
It all started at the shooting phenomenon in 1999 at Columbine High School. Two bullied kids were pushed to the point that they snapped and took the lives of innocent students. Since then, nothing has changed. No alarm has been set in the minds of officials or authorities to reinforce safety. Since that day, there have been thirty one or more school shootings all across the United States, with hundreds of lives lost. Why does the chain never break? In my opinion, the country is over-confident. At the same time, they are petrified.
Then the tragedy at Newtown, Connecticut in Sandy Hook Elementary School took place. It was the most eye-opening and devastating occurrences since Columbine. Dozens of innocent, sweet children’s lives were taken because of one corrupt human being. Also, two faculties risked their lives to save as many of the kids that they could. The unexpected became a reality. April 20, 1999 suddenly came to life again on December 14, 2012. Now its time to change.
America is one of the most prosperous countries of the world. The only element it seems to be missing is gun control and the lack of it. I strongly believe that everyone, unless convicted of previous crime, should be able to obtain a gun. If I were to choose, I would have a private room in each school with a gun case that only the faculty new the answer to. If there was any form of weapon as protection those times, things may have been different. Also, there are an over-abundance of police officers, but they have no where to go. They should be made to stand on watch outside of the schools, monitoring who comes in and out at all times. The simplest thing I can think of is the installation of metal detectors. There are so many steps we can make to create a safe environment for everyone, but the country only takes what they need. We go deeper into debt by the minute, so why not fund the money to make a change? I hope to see a change. As a student myself, I hope that some sense will be strung into their heads to turn this country and break these tragedy chains loose.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura