STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown

MSMorris
My Thoughts on Newtown: Sensible Gun Control
This past year has seen more mass shootings than we have seen in perhaps all of history. The most recent shooting in Newtown, CT, was particularly troubling because of the loss of such young lives. I find school shootings to affect me on a personal level, because my mother works as a teacher with an at-risk population of young adults. Although I am a firm believer in the second amendment of the constitution, I believe that responsible gun control is the answer to preventing such horrific tragedies from occurring as we move forward.
I find that shootings that occur at schools are the most disturbing. My mother works with students that have dropped out of school and helps them to receive their high school diploma through the external diploma program. Some of her students have been expelled because they have threatened to “shoot up” the school. She works hard to turn their lives around but at times we are still fearful for her safety. What gives us comfort is the fact that security systems within her building keep her safe. Since some of these shootings happened, many schools have reconfigured school entrances so that visitors have no access to the classrooms and have to go through the main office before they are admitted into the school. Although expensive, metal detectors would certainly enhance the safety of the school, and reduce the risk of violent acts on campus.
It is our duty as a society to provide a more affordable and accessible mental health care system for those in need. Studies have proven that many of those who have committed mass murders struggled with a mental illness which has been either undiagnosed or poorly managed. I believe that if we had better screenings for mental illness within our school systems which would provide for early diagnoses and treatment.
Finally, I am a strong believer in our second amendment rights; however it is important that we instill a policy of “sensible gun control”. Gabby Gifford, who was shot by a mentally ill man, has appeared in media this past month preaching of sensible gun control. This is the principle that the second amendment should be upheld, but there must be tougher screening for ex. Convicts and the mentally ill.
In conclusion, there must be a change in our nation’s gun policy. Our nation has many other pressing issues that it must handle at the moment, such as the recession, but this needs to be the number one priority on capitol hill and at the white house during this time of mourning and struggle.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy