STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newton: A simple solution

Dylan_Burnell
I was in school myself when I received news of the shooting, and I was disgusted that one man with a gun could do something so heinous. School is supposed to be a place where the students feel safe. Whether your in math class with a headache or science class doing a lab. A student should not have to worry about who is going to come through the door.
Personally I don't believe that guns are the problem . Yes they are used to kill and maim , however if a person wanted to hurt another person there are many ways to accomplish it without a gun. My proposal is to provide resource officers at all of the schools. My first thought when I heard of this shooting was "why can't teachers carry concealed weapons?". I don't believe this to be a valid solution because it bring is more problems than it will solve.
For example any school that allows teachers to carry firearms would have to provide training and massive background checks. On top of that you will have to think of the teachers. How many teachers are trained to use a firearm , and out of those how many would be able to do what needs to be done in a potentially deadly situation? It isn't practical to train a teacher how to go to war. that isn't what they are signing up for.
NRA's CEO and EVP Wayne LaPierre said and I quote
" The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
(nytimes.com Eric Lichtblau and Motoko Rich 12/21/12)
Guns are tools nothing more nothing less. It is how we use these tools that makes them what they are. That is why I think it is an excellent idea to have resource officers at the schools. My school current has a resource officer. My friends frequently go to him for help and I know I can personally count on them when something comes up.
Violence is not always the answer, But sometimes a person will think twice when they have opposition. A resource officer would be the best thing we can do for our schools. I don't see it as a cure all. Some caliber weapons are just too much for the general public , but otherwise guns shouldn't be banned. however I believe that the best option for the school is to get more resource officers or " a good guy with a gun".
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy