My thoughts on Newton: A simple solution

Dylan_Burnell
I was in school myself when I received news of the shooting, and I was disgusted that one man with a gun could do something so heinous. School is supposed to be a place where the students feel safe. Whether your in math class with a headache or science class doing a lab. A student should not have to worry about who is going to come through the door.
Personally I don't believe that guns are the problem . Yes they are used to kill and maim , however if a person wanted to hurt another person there are many ways to accomplish it without a gun. My proposal is to provide resource officers at all of the schools. My first thought when I heard of this shooting was "why can't teachers carry concealed weapons?". I don't believe this to be a valid solution because it bring is more problems than it will solve.
For example any school that allows teachers to carry firearms would have to provide training and massive background checks. On top of that you will have to think of the teachers. How many teachers are trained to use a firearm , and out of those how many would be able to do what needs to be done in a potentially deadly situation? It isn't practical to train a teacher how to go to war. that isn't what they are signing up for.
NRA's CEO and EVP Wayne LaPierre said and I quote
" The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
(nytimes.com Eric Lichtblau and Motoko Rich 12/21/12)
Guns are tools nothing more nothing less. It is how we use these tools that makes them what they are. That is why I think it is an excellent idea to have resource officers at the schools. My school current has a resource officer. My friends frequently go to him for help and I know I can personally count on them when something comes up.
Violence is not always the answer, But sometimes a person will think twice when they have opposition. A resource officer would be the best thing we can do for our schools. I don't see it as a cure all. Some caliber weapons are just too much for the general public , but otherwise guns shouldn't be banned. however I believe that the best option for the school is to get more resource officers or " a good guy with a gun".