My Thoughts on the Newtown Shooting: Who Is To Blame?

RBrown201
Some people blame the government for giving an easy access to guns. Others blame Hollywood movies, social media, and/or violent video games. There are countless other conspiracies, but I have my own. Mine is basically a mix of all of them. It has a little to do with everything.

To get into dissecting this mess, let's go up to bat with a fantastic key element: Adam Lanza's mother was a gun enthusiast. He had the most readily available selection of weaponry that he had no complications to foil his plan whatsoever. Best of all, the government was not to blame for this particular incident. Lanza's mother liked guns. So what? Does that mean she is crazy? No. It does not automatically insinuate that she is crazy. However, her son was. Where would he have received his absolute psychotic mental state from? What or who is to blame for that? Of course, nobody has solid proof of that, but my own opinion is that it is a combination of violent video games, action movies, being possibly abused or bullied as a child, or someone in his family has a mental illness that was passed down to him through genetics.

There are articles in the news about the residents of the state Connecticut stating that there is a plan for everyone to burn violent video games in memory of the lives lost. That is basically trying to make a statement that the video games are what turn kids and teens into murderers. I am not entirely disagreeing with this, but I just feel like there is a whole lot more to it than that.

I don't think there should be a complete ban on guns because people use guns for many different things (i.e. hunting, protection). What I do think should be considered is for the government to issue new guidelines and restrictions, following up with background checks on each person when they go to buy a gun with a process that takes time and consideration. Nowadays, it seems so much easier to get a gun license and to actually buy a gun. That is exactly because nobody has tried to get a grip on it all. Sure, they say that they are "working on it", but are they really? How should we know unless we actually sit in on every little conversation that takes place within governmental grounds. We don't know anything.