My Thoughts on Newtown: It Starts With Us

Megiris
December 13th, 2012. A tragedy occurred in Sandy Hook Elementary, a tragedy which would deprive us of the future leaders our nation needs and of the joy these individuals would bring. In the face of this, we must all do our best to prevent something like this from happening again. A lot of people feel like the solution is to limit access to guns, or to ban them altogether. I can understand where they're coming from, because it would be nice to just limit access to guns and have all our troubles vanish like a bubble of soap, but it will not work. My heart bleeds for the families of those who died; the solution, however, is not to limit our freedoms and let government take away our guns. Here's why:

First, power corrupts. If we allow the government to have the ability to take away our gun rights, they will start taking away more and more rights until we are effectively slaves. Animal Farm by George Orwell demonstrates this.

Second, without guns, what would happen? Let's imagine that a criminal, who had somehow not managed to get his hands on a gun, was about to start fire to a gas station that had people walking all around, and nobody wanted to stop him by physical contact. If you had a gun, you could shoot him from afar, and prevent this tragedy. Or if a criminal did get his hands on a gun, which would happen. When he's about to shoot you, what do you do? Running is futile. Being armed would protect you.

Third, gun control has been shown to lessen the safety of citizens. According to a 1993 survey of 4,977 households, over the previous five years at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for self-defense during a situation in which they said that someone of their household would have been killed if they did not have a gun. This excludes military and police. This is from "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun." by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz.
In 1976. a law was passed in Washington D.C. To prohibit handguns. After that, they experienced a huge spike in crimes committed with guns. They were up almost 73%, according to an average of all the years it was in effect. When that law was struck down, crime rates dropped.

Finally, guns are simply not the problem. The real problem is much deeper. There has been a loss of morality in the U.S., and those who hold to morals are called “old-fashioned”, “prudish”, and “stuffy”. Society does not realize the importance of a good moral groundwork in society. Without it, we are doomed to crime and, eventually, slavery. Although crime cannot be stopped, we can try to prevent it by “being the change in the world”, as Mohandas Gandhi once said. The change must take place within ourselves. We must care enough to change deeply.

Nicely stated! I like how you back up your voice with statistics. I believe and agree with you 100%. I personally carry, legally, a concealed handgun with me 98% of every day. I carry the responsiblity to protect myself, my wife....you. The sad fact is that criminals and sick minded individuals will always have accessibility to any means that can cause harm to others. Banning guns will not stop this. While tragic in it's purest form, banning guns of any type "Will Not" be the sure answer to the end of mindless violence!

- Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:37:57 AM
Comment by Megiris

Thank you for your comment, and for carrying a handgun with you most of the time. My family just recently bought handgun for the first time, and although I am terrified of touching it, I feel so much safer knowing that it's here. It also makes me safer knowing that there are people out there who are equipped to protect and others in public situations.
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2013 6:53:37 AM

The absolute best thing you and your family can do is contact any local gun store or law enforcement to find a local trainer or gun safety class and go in and learn the proper way to shoot and safety of owning and handling a gun! A local shooting range could be a great place to check out as well. Most people who love the sport of shooting would be more than happy to talk with you and give pointers! Getting familiar with it can be enlightening and fun! Fear is something that stops us all from stepping out of our comfort zones! Most people who are against guns, are so, because they know nothing about them! Good luck on the essay contest and I love your blog site!!

- Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:14:02 AM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura