My Thoughts on Newtown: How do we pick up the pieces?

kallafarmer
After I had received news of the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, I was devestated. I felt numb as I watched the news hopelessly. I couldn't understand how someone could murder someone else, especially small children. A child is full of unbridled innocence. I felt sick to think that it was no longer safe for our children to receive an education. So how do we pick up the pieces of our broken hearts? The answer isn't easy. We must pull ourselves off the ground and stand strong in the face of tragedy. We cannot let this stop us. Every school in the United States needs enhanced security to decrease the posibility of another shooting. Each school needs to hire at least one police officer during school hours, maybe several depending on the school size. Bullet-proof glass should replace regular glass in windows and doors. Doors leading outside should always be locked to ensure student and faculy safety. We must learn from this tragedy and make our schools safer so that our citizens can be given a safe place to stay while working on the path to a greater education and brighter future.