My Thoughts on Newtown: How do we pick up the pieces?

After I had received news of the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, I was devestated. I felt numb as I watched the news hopelessly. I couldn't understand how someone could murder someone else, especially small children. A child is full of unbridled innocence. I felt sick to think that it was no longer safe for our children to receive an education. So how do we pick up the pieces of our broken hearts? The answer isn't easy. We must pull ourselves off the ground and stand strong in the face of tragedy. We cannot let this stop us. Every school in the United States needs enhanced security to decrease the posibility of another shooting. Each school needs to hire at least one police officer during school hours, maybe several depending on the school size. Bullet-proof glass should replace regular glass in windows and doors. Doors leading outside should always be locked to ensure student and faculy safety. We must learn from this tragedy and make our schools safer so that our citizens can be given a safe place to stay while working on the path to a greater education and brighter future.

About StageofLife.comAbout Us: is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month. is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.