Thoughts on Newtown- "We must become the change we want to see."

rachel.sing.7
A wise man named Ghandi once said, "We must become the change we want to see in the world." It's true, if we want to see a change in our society and even on a larger scale, the world; we are the only ones who can change it. December 14th, 2012 in Newtown, Conneticuit many people's lives were changed, and not for the better. On this day, 27 good people were killed. I say 27 because many people over look the fact that the shooter also took his own life. I know what you're thinking, Adam Lanza wasn't a "good person". That man shot 26 people who didn't deserve it. Adam Lanza wasn't a bad person, I don't believe anyone is. Adam Lanza just had his priorities mixed up. Rest in peace, Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Engel, Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach,Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt, and lastly, Adam Lanza. These people will be forever missed, even yes 20 year old Adam Lanza. He indeed did shoot 26 people unjustly, and I'm not saying what he did was right what so ever. But his actions don't make him a bad person, it makes him a good person who made a bad decision that he can't ever take back. Many people are discussing gun control or the change of gun rights so that guns are seized and are not available to the public. I can see where adjusting gun control and regulation could be better, but I really think that if our society is looking for a change that eliminates shootings like this, then the expolsion of guns within the public is the best route to go. Some of you may argue that if we keep guns accessible, the government can benefit from the taxes that can be put on the purchasing of these guns and other firearms. Which is a very good point, but at what price? If what we're striving for as a world is less people getting shot, why even allow people who don't need guns everyday to be in possession of them? Sure the government would have more money to spend on the country. But if money is being put before people's lives, then I think that's when we get our priorities mixed up. Money is great while you're alive, it can allow you to buy things and give you a great life. But we all die eventually, and I don't think money is the golden ticket into the gates of heaven. Making good decisions gives you a much better chance than money ever will. Another thing I'd like to point out is, Adam Lanza was known to have a mental illness. Where was the support for him? If he had been cared for and given the correct tools to function as normal as possible for someone with a mental illness, would he have done what he did? I don't think any of us will ever know for sure. But his actions are in a way, a reflection of our society. I'm sure we as a world have room for improvement when it comes to the prevention of mass shooting and the attention given to those who suffer from a mental illness. I think it comes down to if we choose to allow improvement to happen. Or if we're just going to wait for another tragic event like this to finally realize we need to make some changes to the gun laws that are currently in place. Life is all about choices, and for Adam Lanza he made a bad one. For the country, we still have time to make a good one. We shouldn't waste it getting our priorities mixed up. A wise man once said something that impacted someone, who then told another someone. Then the something that impacted that someone became a famous quote, and a girl read it one day and decided to use it to impact other someones, is a really good choice. So I guess making the right and good choice is up to the people facing the issue at hand. But in this situation the choice made by one mad still saddens me that 27 beautiful lives were taken that day of Decemeber 14th 2012. A day that will be infinitely burned in the minds of the world. Revelation 21:4, "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

- Written by Rachel Sing.