My Thoughts on Newtown: Violence doesn't end Violence

Danielle23
Though I had never held a gun before in my life, I never feared them. I always saw them as a form of protection rather than one of violence. After all, guns don't kill people, people do. At least that is what I used to think.

It wasn't until I heard of the horrific incident at Sandy Hook Elementary that my previous opinions began to shatter around me. I remember seeing footage of family members, parents, and teachers in desperate tears as they attempted to grasp what had just happened. Twenty children had been killed at the hands of a man with a gun. What would've happened had this man not been allowed to possess a gun? Would he have found another way? Maybe, but it is less likely.

Guns were created to kill, to wage war, to make peace by discouraging violence. Yet at that moment it came to me. Violence will never end violence, it only prolongs it. Guns were not made for protection, they were made for war. I had always upheld the Constitution, and the right to bear arms along with it, but something has to change. In America you are twenty times more likely to be killed by a gun than anywhere else in the World. In a place where guns are so accessible, and where every citizen has the right to be armed, no one is longer safe. The use of guns has and always has been to kill, so it can hardly be called a misuse when a gun owner uses it to do so. If guns are so necessary in America in order to protect us, then why do we, as opposed to other countries who have stricter gun laws, have a homicide rate three times as high?

I recall the day following the Newtown Shooting, my physics teacher began to tell us of the best hiding places in her classroom in case something similar ever occurred. Our teacher then turned to us, and being completely serious, told us, "Don't be so surprised of what that teacher did to save her students. If some idiot ever walked in here with a gun, I would do everything I could to ensure your safety, even if that means putting myself in between you guys and a bullet." Everyone became quiet, realizing the severity of what had happened, and possibly could happen once again.

If I were ever in a similar position of course I would feel more safe if my teacher were carrying a gun as well, but I would feel even more safe if neither shooter nor teacher were allowed to hold a gun.

I am extremely horrified for what happened that day at Sandy Hook, and my heart breaks for the families of those who lost their children, and I never want something like that to ever occur again. That is why America must change, something must be done to prevent this from ever occurring. And we must start by banning the sell of guns to citizens.