STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My thoughts on Newtown: Waking up From a Dream

horsesrunwild34
It was sixth period at Hamilton High School on December 14th, 2012. My friends and I were sitting on the ground, watching others play musical chairs. Suddenly, my friend looks up from her iPhone. “Look!” She calls, her face suddenly turning into concern. “Someone posted a picture on Instagram quoting ‘I’m so glad my cousin made it out of Sandy Hook Elementary safely.’” She goes on, explaining how the comments related a shooting. I paused. My mind filled with disbelief and shock. I immediately dismissed the thought- who would take a picture of their cousin running away? It must be a fraud, I thought. “I’ll look it up.” Said another friend, pulling out his iPhone. “Right here- shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary.” And he showed us the article about the devastating event.

The shooting didn’t really sink into my mind until days later. I was confused- struggling to grasp onto what had happened. In essence, I was still in my dream. It is only now that I realize the selling of guns to citizens should be prohibited. The second amendment claims, “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”, but the tides have turned, and this world is not what our forefathers imagined when they created that document. People can claim to know the problem, but nobody does anything about it. Slowly, the concern drops, until it disappears and the citizens try to forget, like the several times it has been done before. Reality is, no one can be 100% safe. There are always people out there who have an inane desire to hurt others, and we will never be rid of that. We can take precautions, though. For instance, in class the day following the shooting, we were discussing how none of the doors in the back of our school were locked, and anyone could enter and leave at will. During the passing period, a couple friends and I discussed how we would take care of the situation if a terrorist came into our classroom- one student would stand right next to the door with a baseball bat, while when the terrorist entered the classroom, all the remaining students would pull out their phones and put it on strobe light, blinding the attacker and giving an opening for the student with the baseball bat to hit the attacker, knocking him out. We were, of course, joking around, but if nothing is done about the gun control and security at schools, we might have to resort to letting the students defend themselves.

Where do we go from here? Gun rights is a necessity to control, but the other side is citizens taking action- waking up from their dream and realizing it’s not only up to Congress and the President to make decisions, but also us. Because the world will keep sending us lessons like Newtown’s shooting, unless we can learn from them now.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy