Be the Change: A Word on the Speechless and Outcasts

mrcoolerthancool
If your were an outcast of your social group, the minority, how would you deal with this stress? Unfortunately, many teenagers find an output to this sadness with a blade to the forearm. Over one per every twelve teenagers inflicts self-harm during their teenage years to cope with many painful situations. Self-harm is a result of various different issues, but the majority of victims commits this crime of sadness because of social issues. Next year, I hope help my community and make a difference by bringing awareness about self-harm, saving victims, and ultimately, making my environment much more positive.
Next year, I plan to advertise and bring awareness to my high school about how common self-harm is. I have already started to create posters to hang in classrooms and handouts to give to students. In these posters, I included various help groups, websites, and statistics that bring awareness as well as give helpful information to victims of self-harm. I also created a support group on Facebook and a private email for anyone to ask questions and bring an understanding. I believe it is of huge relevance to anyone to learn about the physiological paths that these victims take in order to start or end their addictive habits.
To help the victims, I am using email and a discussion group to benefit victims of self-harm. Using these groups, I want to supply help to the victims thereof, by giving a new approach many have never attempted. Instead of punishing the victim and making them even more likely to inflict pain, I decided to take the approach as a friend. Since many cases of self-harm are caused by being outcast from a social environment, I hope to make victims more social, open to new environments, and setting. This is a change from the contrary, when many crawl into their shells and find pain easier to deal with.
Even with the common grounds of victims, self-harm could be cured for good in a matter of time. The negativity and lack of social interaction could cause devastation to one’s moral and self-image. Since the beginning of time, the fact that pain can override emotion was commonly known. People have inflicted pain and revoked emotion to get adverse effects. However, this fad is far from the end. Millions are suffering from this trapped space, a vacuum of an existence, and nobody has even attempted to save him or her. Today, however, I stand to make a change. Through advertisement and a revolution within my school against self-harm, I hope to spark the very start of a revolution.