STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the change: Help people accept themselves for who they are

sf_2012
Other gay kids are ambitious. They fight for marriage equality. They march in pride parades. They know who they are and what they want, and they’re not afraid to go after it.

Me, on the other hand? I’m deep in the closet. My family is Muslim, and conservative. I pray five times a day, wear a headscarf, and know one-sixth of the Quran by heart. And yet, I’m gay. God made me have feelings for girls. It’s that simple.

Most Muslims, unfortunately, don’t see it the same way I do. The amount of hate I observe, going to Islamic school every day, is appalling. Teachers call gays “unnatural” and say we should “just become normal,” as if we can turn it on and off at will, like a light switch.

When I was fourteen, I sometimes felt so empty, like having these “unnatural” feelings made me a despicable person. Then I discovered the blogosphere. There, in that bright, crisp, digital world, I found LGBT Muslims. These people were going through the same things as I was. They became my support system. We inspired and encouraged each other; we struggled and laughed together. Gradually, among these wonderful people, I became comfortable with my sexuality.

Now that I’ve accepted myself, it’s time for the next step. I will run my own queer Muslim blog. I will blog until the skin of my fingertips rubs raw, until the muscles around my knuckles stiffen. I will prove being gay is okay. I will share my experiences. I will tell people that God loves them no matter what.

I’ve already gotten haters. “Don’t you fear hell?” they comment. “Don’t you know homosexuality is wrong?” These comments only make me work harder, because this needs to be done. People should know they’re not alone. Queers are often bullied, discriminated against, and disowned. Understandably, they develop many psychological issues- self-injury, depression, dysphoria. 1 out of 3 LGBT people has tried to kill themselves. As if the external pressure isn’t enough, we have all this inner turmoil, these waves of chaos crashing inside us, like waves upon sand..

That’s where faith comes in. It isn’t for everyone, but religion actually helps some people find peace. Faith is a bit like falling in love. It might not make sense to others, but when you find the right religion, you’ll know it. Being Muslim feels right to me, and I want to spread that feeling. I want people to know that, yes, they can be both queer and faithful, no matter what “mainstream” Islam says.

I’m helping in the way that I can. All I can do is help people accept themselves. It won’t be a revolution. Change, as Libba Bray said, happens “one person, one gesture, one moment at a time.” Maybe someday queers and straights will be equal. But for now, I take satisfaction in knowing that I might make someone out there smile a little wider, laugh a little louder, breathe a little easier.
Rate this:
Comment by MariaRose

This is an awesome essay! I applaud your courage to acknowledge who you are and speak out about it. You are a very brave girl! I am sorry that you have to deal with those who believe the way that you are is fundamentally wrong -it's not. We may not believe in the same God (I'm a Christian), but I know if yours is anything like mine, He made you this way and loves you exactly the way He created you. Stay strong and again, amazing work!
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:35:30 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Kwweesten

This is beautiful!
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:42:07 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You have been chosen as our 3rd Place winner for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:35:45 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy