STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be The Change: How I will help people focus on the “special” instead of the “needs” of those with disabilities

gsobol
I know a boy who knows hundreds of telephone area codes across the United States; give him a city and he’ll give you the 3-digit code. I know another guy who practically has the entire New York city public transportation system memorized, and can tell you the shortest route to get from point A to point B via buses, trains, etc. I have another friend who literally knows the entire script for a dozen movies, and can spew lines from these shows on demand. All of these people are unique and talented, yet most people are not able to see this. It’s not because they are shy or hide their talents; rather, they have special needs. And because of their disabilities, people are often unable- or unwilling- to get to know them, and instead dismiss them as “retards”. Yet I am lucky enough to know better than that.
For the past few years, I have been involved with a couple of organizations that deal with integrating young people with disabilities with their regularly functioning peers. The more I have interacted with and gotten to know people with special needs, the more I have realized that it doesn’t matter if someone can’t speak properly or has difficulty doing basic tasks such as tying their shoes; a person is a person, and every human being deserves dignity and respect, no matter what issues they may have. Everyone has a purpose that they alone are meant to deliver to others. Yet the more I realized this, the more I realized how unenlightened my peers were on this topic. My classmates would call anything from a weird outfit someone wore that day to a teacher giving them a bad grade “retarded”, therefore greatly reducing the impact of this word on those who actually have a mental retardation. Not only that, but seeing the way my friends responded to those with special needs often shocked me; they usually wouldn’t laugh or be outright cruel, but would rather ignore them, or even be afraid of them. However, this is an understandable reaction: for those who haven’t really been exposed to people with special needs, it isn’t that surprising that they would cower from someone so clearly different from them.
The change I want to make is two-fold: one, to stop the use of the word “retarded” in casual conversation, and two, to make people see that people with special needs are just like everyone else. Instead of focusing on the “needs” element, I want people to see the other half: how “special” people with disabilities are. I intend to start this process through a program in my school called “stop the r-word”. This program will hopefully open peoples’ eyes to how insensitive it is to call things retarded, and hopefully therefore allow them to see that someone who is “retarded” isn’t defective: rather, they just work a different way. And hopefully one day, we’ll stop counting each other’s chromosomes and start counting each other as frien
Rate this:
Comment by SOFLarchive

I like your essay. I agree that no one should say the r-word.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 3:47:04 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Kwweesten

The last sentence brings the whole point home. Very powerful.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:58:06 PM
Rate this:
Comment by mmtys18

From this past semester of school, one of my education classes was completely based on students with disabilities. I really like what you're doing here because I learned so much information about what it's like for students with disabilities, and I completely agree that people should not be called "retarded" just because they are different. Everyone's different, so who are they to determine who is or is not special?
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:21:29 PM
Rate this:
Comment by allstar379

I REALLY enjoyed this essay. It was really well written, and you're perspective is spot-on. I honestly can't believe that the "r-word" is still being used, and we as a society need to stop ignoring the implications this ignorance has.
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 1:01:28 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as one of seven Runners-Up for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:41:54 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy