Be the Change: It Begins with You

jennyzhcl
There is often the misconception that changing the world is the equivalent to sparking a dramatic revolution that produces immediate, life-changing results and is an act that can only be courageously undertaken by the elitists of the world. But from what I have observed, it’s almost just the opposite. Believe it or not, there’s a great chance that you – ordinary, spectacular you – have changed a handful of lives for the better in the past year. Remember the stranger you greeted on the street or the driver you waved to in your car? Maybe you just shined a little light onto their bleak Monday morning. Or maybe you introduced yourself to the new kid, who was desperately hoping that this school would be far better than his last and in turn found a friend to sit with during an otherwise humiliating lunch. From opening the door for the person behind you to dropping your extra change in the donation bin, whatever small act of kindness you performed meant a great deal to someone else. There have been moments when my day was made just by a simple kind comment or message I received. In this upcoming new year, I want to remind people just how awesome they are and the unimaginably amazing things they can contribute to the world.

As human beings, we all go through days when we feel like the hope is being sucked out of our lives with despair sinking into its place. Sometimes we forget that we are not alone in this feeling and that others experience this too. It’s easy to think that we’re all just faces in the crowd of seven billion people and fall into the habit of letting others make the necessary changes in society, but we each have the power to implement change. So, in 2013, make a new friend, give a little more, and be the change that you wish to see in the world. I hope to be your reminder that you are part of the beauty in this world, and I hope that your smile and kind words will do the same for others.
Comment by Kwweesten

You bring up a good point, many people don't realize they are actually helping others.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:39:28 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as a Semi-Finalist for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:52:55 PM