Be the Change: Going My Own Way

badwillhunting
You know that feeling Bruce Springsteen expresses in his song, "Dancing in the Dark"? Well, that's how I've been feeling for awhile now. I can relate to every line each day than ever before. Since the past three years, I have been getting a raging urge to just break free of all the things around me and start afresh in some sense. In 2013, I'll be the change by going my own way instead of living up to surrounding norms and other people’s expectations. Most of my life, I've tried and succeeded in doing something by looking at its prime example or pre-set standards rather than going farther down the road. I often limit myself to what is the highest boundary set by the society around me and give up the thought that it can be broken. I'm done with all these rules! Moreover, getting tangled into meeting other people's high expectations of me even when nothing's at stake has become a trend lately. I'm tired of people telling me I'm not allowed to do certain things, but these people are also the ones who tell me to be reckless and try new things. All these factors restrict me from expressing my inner self, breaking boundaries, and achieving my dreams, therefore, sticking me on a path that is not mine. I want to rebel against this 'system' or mindset of 'limitations' and do things my own way. I mean, why believe what is right from others' point of view when to you it's not? Columbus didn't journey into the New World by listening to people who told him nothing's 'out there'. He took his ships, made discoveries, and even branded the Americans as Indians, though in the long run, still made a name for himself through his own beliefs, perceptions, idiosyncrasies, etc. I want to be that person; a person who does things their own way no matter what. Gandhi, Stanley Kubrick, Kurt Cobain, Bob Dylan, Jack Kerouac, Steve Jobs, and Cameron Crowe are other examples who stamped their names on history books by not suppressing themselves as of the society's 'unspoken rules'. They fought it and showed no one's to tell what's impossible! I plan to bring upon this change I desire by breaking conventions and doing what I love regardless of anyone's views, rules, as well as expectations. I'll work on my personal projects such as making short films or writing scripts and do it for the pure joy of it, which might somewhere down the line lead to a breakthrough. How do you expect to survive this funny, messed-up world, where everyone's got a story to tell, when your own voice is stifled and not truly yours? I have been walking in the wrong lane and listening to a lot of people all these years, but not in 2013. I will change directions, reach my full potential, and give the world my own 'punch'. Sixty years from now, I want to scream, "I DID IT MY WAY!"
Comment by it's another simply story

Hi!
I only want to say that you're text is so good, and I really like it. I feel identified with the text, and maybe with you (really I don't know because I don't know you). I hope that your life is going in the right direction :))
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:08:10 PM