STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the Change: Going My Own Way

badwillhunting
You know that feeling Bruce Springsteen expresses in his song, "Dancing in the Dark"? Well, that's how I've been feeling for awhile now. I can relate to every line each day than ever before. Since the past three years, I have been getting a raging urge to just break free of all the things around me and start afresh in some sense. In 2013, I'll be the change by going my own way instead of living up to surrounding norms and other people’s expectations. Most of my life, I've tried and succeeded in doing something by looking at its prime example or pre-set standards rather than going farther down the road. I often limit myself to what is the highest boundary set by the society around me and give up the thought that it can be broken. I'm done with all these rules! Moreover, getting tangled into meeting other people's high expectations of me even when nothing's at stake has become a trend lately. I'm tired of people telling me I'm not allowed to do certain things, but these people are also the ones who tell me to be reckless and try new things. All these factors restrict me from expressing my inner self, breaking boundaries, and achieving my dreams, therefore, sticking me on a path that is not mine. I want to rebel against this 'system' or mindset of 'limitations' and do things my own way. I mean, why believe what is right from others' point of view when to you it's not? Columbus didn't journey into the New World by listening to people who told him nothing's 'out there'. He took his ships, made discoveries, and even branded the Americans as Indians, though in the long run, still made a name for himself through his own beliefs, perceptions, idiosyncrasies, etc. I want to be that person; a person who does things their own way no matter what. Gandhi, Stanley Kubrick, Kurt Cobain, Bob Dylan, Jack Kerouac, Steve Jobs, and Cameron Crowe are other examples who stamped their names on history books by not suppressing themselves as of the society's 'unspoken rules'. They fought it and showed no one's to tell what's impossible! I plan to bring upon this change I desire by breaking conventions and doing what I love regardless of anyone's views, rules, as well as expectations. I'll work on my personal projects such as making short films or writing scripts and do it for the pure joy of it, which might somewhere down the line lead to a breakthrough. How do you expect to survive this funny, messed-up world, where everyone's got a story to tell, when your own voice is stifled and not truly yours? I have been walking in the wrong lane and listening to a lot of people all these years, but not in 2013. I will change directions, reach my full potential, and give the world my own 'punch'. Sixty years from now, I want to scream, "I DID IT MY WAY!"
Rate this:
Comment by it's another simply story

Hi!
I only want to say that you're text is so good, and I really like it. I feel identified with the text, and maybe with you (really I don't know because I don't know you). I hope that your life is going in the right direction :))
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:08:10 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy