Be the Change: Changing Myself into the Image of Loyalty

PHILosophical
Greedy, envious, arrogant, easily tempered, incompetent, insensitive, and foolish: I have heard every one of those adjectives used to describe me. I will not deny my own faults, despite how it may embolden my enemies. However, there is one characteristic about who I am that I hold dearly: Loyalty. In my mind, loyalty is giving faith to something or someone despite personal desire. I could never bear the thought of betraying a loved one; therefore, it has always been a value in my mind. In 2013, I hope to spread the concept to my friends by changing myself into the image of loyalty. Before you turn away from this self-evaluation, think about how loyalty is viewed in our society.

Employees are taught to be loyal to their companies in the business world (Customer service comes afterwards). Meanwhile, loyalty to our country is common to see in the people who protect us: The soldiers, police, and government workers. To a personal level, we are devoted to our friends, family, and partners. Would you not trust your own brother who is probably closer to you than many others? Without loyalty, how would order or justice exist? We would be living in constant anarchy; we would be living in a dark age without chivalry. Civilization has its foundations rooted in the idea of one standing at the side of another. Unfortunately, this idea is not valued as much now as it was in the past.

My role model for embodying loyalty is not a celebrity, but a friend who knew what it meant to be loyal better than most. His name is Harky, and I will not deny that he brightened up my day when I needed it most. From the less appealing characteristics that I mentioned before, often I made enemies through my middle school years. I had a good circle of friends, but they could not be there to support me all the time. I found myself staring down an especially aggressive adversary one day when my self-esteem was at an all-time low. Harky had no reason to get involved; in fact, he had a mutual friendship with my tantalizer. Instead of being a bystander, he was there next to me explaining 99 reasons why I was not below anyone else. He gave me the boost of confidence I needed and inspired me to follow his example.

Furthermore, I plan to do exactly for others what Harky did for me. By becoming the image of loyalty for my friends, I believe they will spread the value among their friends and their friends’ friends. It is very unlikely I can unite groups of people or stop world hunger now, but even the element of loyalty can improve a person’s life, even if it is barely noticeable. All anyone has to do to spread the value is find something worth having faith in, and be there for it even if it burdens them.