Be The Change: I will empower the youth

shashankraop
The day has finally come. It is the end of year 2012. Billions all over the world will gear up to welcome 2013. It is also the time of year when people reflect upon the year that was and make resolutions for a better year ahead.

Years roll by and countless resolutions are made, however, there is no change.

So this year, I have decided that this must stop.
There are two incidents which are presently occupying my mind now: Virginia Lafontant’s drive of promoting healthy body image among teenage girls and Newtown shooting. While the former, is working towards betterment of society in general, the latter has sent shockwaves across the world. It was blood curdling to read that a 20 year old youth could go on a killing spree and murder his mother, twenty kids and six adults. Shocking indeed!

I feel that amidst their preoccupation with economy and development, world leaders and politicians have ignored the next generation of citizens: us. Why just the politicians? Even parents and the society at large are to be blamed.

Reports in the newspapers point out that more and more youth are engaging in some sort of crime, ranging from shop lifting to even murders. This was unlike in the past, where childhood and youth are often equated to innocence. The riots that have taken place in the United Kingdom last year, saw many juvenile offenders, aged about 15 or even less.

Going back to my point, I said we are being neglected. Certainly, it is true. Today’s children deal with sort of problems which were rather uncommon in the previous years: smaller families, separation of parents, cut-throat competition and many more. Due to a lack of proper family conditioning and a vacuum of love and affection associated with almost every relationship, the youth finds itself out of place. No wonder the list of psychological disorders gets longer by the day.

So, from next year onwards, I want this all to change. After writing the national level school exams, I want to start a Facebook page for all those who are looking for support and friendship. I want to create a platform wherein anyone can pour their hearts out online. There will also be a possibility of making friends from around the world. This will mean reducing the differences and promoting unity among people. Better still, I will volunteer with a nonprofit organization which works in providing orphans and distraught youth a firm base. I will even encourage a few of friends to take up this endeavor. I have heard about one such organization called Make a Difference, and I am thinking of joining it next year.

Last, but not the least, as an old age adage goes on ‘Change yourself before you change the world’, I am interested in bringing out some changes in myself. There are some relationships which need mending. I also want to keep up my performance in academics and co curricular activities in the future. There is so much I had taken from the society, now; I want to pay it back, with interest. Don’t worry world, I’m out there for you!