STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be The Change: Helping Stop Environmental Racism

sweet-ayi
Be The Change: Helping Stop Environmental Racism
It is heartbreaking to see that in this modern times with the wide range of diversity of human beings, people are still been treated differently because of their race, religious faith, nationality and the like. There have been instances a many in life where environmental racism behavior is like drinking a glass of water. It is so common.
Historically, environmental racism is tied to the environmental justice movement that took place in the70’s and 80’s in the United States. There is much discourse on environmental racism in the United States and while many of its cases are documented in great detail, focus on cases from other countries is important to have and should be highlighted as well.
Studies have shown that not all individuals are equally exposed or protected from pollution. They are either under protected or over protected. For example, worldwide toxic-waste sites are more prevalent in poorer communities. In the world we live today the single most important factor in predicting the location of hazardous-waste sites in the 196 countries, is the ethnic composition of a neighborhood. Three of the five largest commercial hazardous-waste landfills in America are in predominantly black or Hispanic neighborhoods, and three out of every five black or Hispanic Americans live in the vicinity of an uncontrolled toxic-waste site. It is looking at situations like this that I begin to ask such questions as; “are we really as civilized as we claim? Are we modern? How can such things happen?”
The wealth of a community is not nearly as good a predictor of hazardous-waste locations as the ethnic background of the residents, suggesting that the selection of sites for hazardous-waste disposal involves racism.
Bringing to light a very heart felting memory; I met this little girl who was very sick because of the high concentration of lead in her blood due to the release of poisonous substances from hazardous-waste in her community. I could feel her pain, how she must have felt when she couldn’t keep up with her classmates’ any longer. I felt so sorry for her and promised to do my best to prevent it from happening to other people, especially children because I’m more of a children person.

I have been asking myself how such an innocent soul has to pay for the crime of a world she barely knows and so have started speaking about it with my friends at school. Hopefully in 2013, with the help of my family and friends I will reach out to more people and create awareness of this cancer called environmental racism which seems to be invincible. I will write articles for publications in newspapers, try to design posters (I’m a terrible designer), and if possible form a group and hold functions. A step at a time I will try my best to reduce if not stop environmental racism.

Thank you.
Nana Ayisha Yakubu,
30th December 2012.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy