Be the Change: World Peace

Arman
On a philosophical level the community, city, state, country, and world we live in needs to be changed. The world is all types of messed up. People living in cozy homes, while others freeze, men killing others just because they were told to, people starving everywhere when a few have enough to feed them all and more. Can we really consider the world we live in normal, or even ourselves sane? If virtue exists in our society why do we not help those that starve, why do the poor in the nation increase and the rich get richer? A small powerless Indian man once said “strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will” (Attenborough 13). This man was Gandhi, a person who understood the value of life, liberty, and possessions.

If there is one thing that must be changed in the world by 2013 it must be all the wrong that happens on a small scale everywhere across the globe. For example, the drug trades in south America, the slave trades in Europe, the conquering in Africa, the sweat shops in India, the killing for organs in Asia, and the corruption in America. If there is one thing every single human being on the face of this planet agrees with and would ask for on Christmas it would be one day of peace. One day where every soul stops and relaxes with no problem, no struggle, no killing, but only rest. It is evident that humans are corrupted beings that are shrewd and greedy at times. However, at the same time there are people who are good, kind and honest. The difference between the good people and the bad people is as Gandhi states “liberty never meant the license to do anything at will” (Attenborough 38). Good people understand the value of liberty and its price however; those that mistreat liberty mistreat others liberty as well. If people could know the true value of liberty, the lives it took to achieve it, they would indeed be more grateful, for example America. We as Americans know what liberty is worth but, sometimes forget. It takes images of a starving child in Africa to figure out what Americans have is not something that should be taken for granted.

A popular belief on how to achieve world peace is the extinction of the human race. Many pieces of evidence tell us when the world may end however, it is not certain. Isaac Newton predicted in 2060, the Mayan calendar in 2012, but it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the world will end. Is human extinction really the answer to peace on earth? Whatever the case may be the world is an ugly place, and the only way to fix it is by doing the right thing. World peace will not come for a decade, maybe a century, or maybe not for a millennia, but we as humans have to make that decision.

Works Cited
Gandhi, and Richard Attenborough. The Words of Gandhi. New York, NY: Newmarket, 1982. Print.